My monitor moves!! - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 12:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master Techie

1. Most POSTs are hardcoded to run at basic resolutions during setup. Usually 640 or 800. You're going to see a shift in the monitor from startup to desktop because of this, especially with old monitors.

2. If you're noticing a shift in the desktop screen, after all the boot n' stuff is over, then your monitor is definately about to FO&D.

3. Turning up your monitor brightness to get rid of shadows in a game is not only bad for your monitor, but is considered a mild form of cheating and ruins the in-game experience.

-----------------------------------------------
Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
Old 02-23-2005, 12:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by ekÆsine
I agree with ShoobieRat. I think it's starting to fail. Some monitors I've used had this problem.
But he said the monitor doesn't have a problem with his old PC. It really just sounds like a timing problem between card and monitor. Is the Monitor Plug-n-Pray?

If you can't get the BIOS screen to show fully, I don't think there is anything you can do except get a new monitor. YOu might try setting your BIOS by using the old graphics card in the new computer.

Once in windows, you can tinker around with the settings and the monitor driver to reposition the screen on an old monitor. It's really just trial and error at that point. I had an encounteran old monitor with no OSD and no windows driver. So I just started picking monitor drivers until I found one that worked.

Old 02-23-2005, 12:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Trifid
I have my monitor quite bright, as it does help a bit in counter strike source when it is dark, so you can see the opposition.

Counter strike has both a gama correction and brightness settings that should help your game play without adjusting the monitor.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Techie

I think its about time to put the ole girl down and go buy a 19'' plasma
Evga 8800GTX
4GB Corsair XMS 800
150gb WD 10k
300gb seagate 7.2k
22" Samsung 5ms lcd
21" Sceptre lcd
Old 02-23-2005, 01:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by cloud
I think its about time to put the ole girl down and go buy a 19'' plasma
Chaching! Why stop at 19"?
Old 02-23-2005, 01:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master Techie

Yeah. Jesus Christ, if yer gonna fork out for a plasma monitor (which'll give you a two year ride) you might as well burn all your money on the 21" or sell your soul for a 28"

Old 02-23-2005, 01:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
There and Back again

Hey I got an 18" for 280.00 Off brand I haven't heard of; "Techsan" but it works real nice to me... and 19's are getting cheaper by the day... And besides... My next one(s) are 2 19's

Dell 4K S2817Q / Logitech Z-680 / Func MS3 Mouse / Corsair K70 LUX rgb
NZXT Source 530 / i5-7600K / Corsair H100i v2 / ASRock Z270 Extreme4
SM951 M2 256GB / 850 evo 1TB / Seagate 2TB / WD 2TB
2x16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 / evga Classified GTX 980 ti / Seasonic M12II 850W

Old 02-23-2005, 01:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master Techie

I'm not talking about standard LCD's. I'm talking about those stupid new plasma TV/monitors that are half a soul for half the screen.

Old 02-23-2005, 01:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I dont have the money for a new monitor And I sold my soul for this pc. The devil will get my soul as soon as I put the last piece in, erm... the frount usb's on my case. (I couldnt be bothered with them, too fidgety for my liking) << the only thing I could think of that I havent done yet.

Before I shut down tonight, im going to adjust the monitor, so it is a small square in the middle of the screen. When I boot up im hoping windows will adjust it at start up, and then I can carry on adjusting for the rest of my life. Or until I can afford 2 nice 19" CRT's

Cisco CCNA, Comptia A+, 1/3 through CCNP
Old 02-23-2005, 02:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Trifid

Before I shut down tonight, im going to adjust the monitor, so it is a small square in the middle of the screen. When I boot up im hoping windows will adjust it at start up, and then I can carry on adjusting for the rest of my life. Or until I can afford 2 nice 19" CRT's
Won't work. As long as your happy with the settings while running windows, it doesn't matter what happens during the boot.

Closed Thread