my MOBO cant see its NIC. and its built on! please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seria

PC Cutie ^_^
Hi, I am having a small problem.
First, let me pre-thank you for your assistance.

I have just done a MOBO swap with 2 of my comps. I have installed WinXPproSP1. I have installed the MOBO utilities disc and the graphics card drivers disc. Now I am ready to connect the comp to the network and stuff but the computer (device manager) does not even show a NIC at all. The NIC worked fine before I made the swap.

This is really weird, I have never seen this problem b4.

CPU: AMD2400+
MOBO: KT4V-L (6712)
mobo web site: http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=KT4VL&class=mb
built on NIC: ethernet 10/100

please help.

try inserting the mobo's installation CD
browse through it and there should be a section for you to install the nic card that is built on the motherboard

Hi!

I assume from your post that the mobo disc you installed came with the original BIOS version. There have been several updates since then.

If you go here http://www.msicomputer.com/support/bios_result.asp

A search for your model KT4VL brings ups a series of updates.

I am looking specifically at version 1.1 which says "Revamps the problem of Auto-detection for on-board LAN controller."

You should have the most up to date BIOS. Give that a try!

Good Luck!

These are the names of folders in the 'network' directory on the utilities CD: 'ADMtek', 'broadcom', 'Intel', 'Realtek', 'SiS' and 'VIA'.

I am not sure which one goes to a ethernet 10/100 NIC.

I just found this out. When I inserted the CD into THIS computer, there where different installation options then there where on the computer with the problem. (I would show you a screen shot, but I dont know how to post pictures in here) I think the CD looks at the system it is in and tries to tell you what it thinks you should install. ~does that make sence?

Anyway, with that said, does this mean there is an actual hardware problem not just a driver problem?

And with that said, don't you think that the mobo would be able to tell if there was a part of/on it that was not working correctly?

about the new bios, ok I would love to try that but I dont know how to update the bios.

Okay, some mobos have with the ability to enable/disable onboard devices. I don't know enough about motherboards to tell you its a problem with the device.

What I can tell you is that "broadcom" is your NIC, according to the spec sheet on your mobo's website.

Try doing that first with your current bios disk.

I has the problem on this mobo.

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K7N2_Delta2_Platinum&class=mb

there was no option to enable it in bios. Actually it show up once. I reformatted that computer about 10 times and it show up once. installing the driver doesn't accomplish anything

I installed realtek pci network card of the mobo. I basically got tired of all of the little problems I was having with these msi boards. sunday. I bought a Asus A7N8X which incidently has the same nvidia network driver. it showed up and worked

Nuff' said

Seria said:
These are the names of folders in the 'network' directory on the utilities CD: 'ADMtek', 'broadcom', 'Intel', 'Realtek', 'SiS' and 'VIA'.

I am not sure which one goes to a ethernet 10/100 NIC.

I just found this out. When I inserted the CD into THIS computer, there where different installation options then there where on the computer with the problem. (I would show you a screen shot, but I dont know how to post pictures in here) I think the CD looks at the system it is in and tries to tell you what it thinks you should install. ~does that make sence?

Anyway, with that said, does this mean there is an actual hardware problem not just a driver problem?

And with that said, don't you think that the mobo would be able to tell if there was a part of/on it that was not working correctly?

If you board is like mine. the driver is in the nvidia nforce folder. it installs with the nvidia stuff

funny thing. that cd had the driver to my aftermarket Realtek driver

i have that K7N2 Delta2 board in one of my other systems, i have come close to smashing it up with a big purple stick several times but I have not had any nic problems with it... yet..

I did try looking in the bios on my problem comp and sure enough, the on-board nic was disabled. (i dont know how. I sure didn't do it.)

why didn't I think to look there first though. duh.

anyway. thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom