My Maxtor Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
AND_YOU_ARE did anything else happen besides the SpeedFAN value? Are you sure its dying?

I have 2 Maxtors. #1 is 10GB 7200RPM and is very old, has a few bad sectors, but its my best drive, very silent and never failed.
The other Maxtor is 40GB, dunno how many RPM. Just got it a few weeks ago.

I also have a Hitachi IBM-DHEA 5400RPM 6GB drive, its slower but runs fine.

no problems with maxtor, ever. my pc has been through a damn car crash and the drive didn't mess up. The amount of downloading, deleting, and formatting i put it through (as well) has proved maxtor's worthiness to me.

Major, well over the past month the drive has been declining in the speedfan value. But it has also taken twice as long to boot up windows and the programs that load with windows. The same time when loading windows it give the sound of an alternater on a car. Its not the other drives I have tested that. And you can feel it shaking more than normal when it makes that noise.

So I figure that its on its way out.

I have the powermax utility installed and used that to format the drive when ever I do a fresh install. Is that the low level format, if not how do I go about doing one of those?

I don't think that does a low-level format. I would check your BIOS and see if you can do a low-level format from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom