My invalid system disc - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 02:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Hmm....well experience is the key to learning...otherwise I wouldn't have detected the piracy I don't know what your cousin did but you'd need more specific details..it's obviously trying to read the CD but like I said the piracy keeps it from doing so. You'll need to get back to me on what your cousin did exactly.

EDIT: You should alter your profile to accept PM's...I would be able to better assist you with your Invalid Disk Problem.

Old 10-29-2004, 04:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to thezambOWNie

My cuz said that he unplugged the IDE cable from the cdrom but left the power to it. He said then the drive doesnt act as a cdrom anymore just as an empty formatted drive. i guess doesnt make much sense to me but hey i'm no expert and thats y im here.

Old 10-29-2004, 04:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Win2kpatcher

I was thinking along the same lines. Nubius hit it right on the money....You can always use your 98 HD as the master and set up the other drive as a spare, but Win98=Spawn of Satan.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie

old win98 HD= 8GB hahahahaha yea any suggestions on what to do when my WD is a slave?
Old 10-29-2004, 10:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by thezambOWNie
old win98 HD= 8GB hahahahaha yea any suggestions on what to do when my WD is a slave?
Use your OEM win98 install disk and install it on the new drive then upgrade to XP from within 98.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i said before in some ealier posts bud that when i try to boot from any bootable disc all i get is that error message if not i could really care less if all i have is 98 an os would be nice...
Old 10-29-2004, 10:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master Techie

If your old machine has a CDR drive make a bootable cd from a floppy...or pull the floppy out and put it in your new machine and use a win98 boot disk...you can get them at www.bootdisk.com

and to convert

http://www.bootdisk.com/nero.htm
Old 10-30-2004, 04:11 AM   #18 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
My cuz said that he unplugged the IDE cable from the cdrom but left the power to it. He said then the drive doesnt act as a cdrom anymore just as an empty formatted drive. i guess doesnt make much sense to me but hey i'm no expert and thats y im here.
Well you plugged the IDE cable back in right? BTW: what he said makes no sense...it just means simply your drive has power to it, but your system won't see it because it's not hooked to the motherboard and that's it...so make sure the IDE cable is properly attached.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
Newb Techie

either way....i was thinking about it and i guess since the cdrom regaurdless is having trouble running everything should i just hook up my new HD to my cousins comp install xp...if it'll go through and if not put my copy of 98 on it and just buy a new cdrom? your call and i the only floppy i have is dead got it from the junk pile at the computer store i was an intern at. thanks for everything guys i think this is almost done

Closed Thread