Is it my hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zipp080

Baseband Member
Ok, last night if you saw my post I spent all night attempting to figure out why my computer would not recognize my harddrive in my bios.

Well this is how it was. I could hook up my harddrive ALONE and the bios would see it. If I hooked up my CDROM with it, then it only recognized the CDRW and not the HDD. I hooked it up alone as a secondary master, and as a slave to the HDD, and both ways it never recognized both. And the funny thing was, I have 5 ribbon cables, and only one of them seemed to ever allow me to recognize the HDD.

So I called a tech and we were on the phone for quite some time. He thought it was my CDRW that was causing the problem. So after about 2 hours of switching around the HDD and CDRW, I went and got a CDRW from another computer and hooked it up. Well the same thing happened. BUT, after I got off the phone with the tech, I did end up getting the HDD and CDRW to both be recognized in the BIOS. So I thought good deal, I began downloading XP boot disks on another comp and I come back to stick them in, and reboot, and it no longer recognized the harddrive again.

Anyways after about another 10 boot ups messing with the harddrive and CDRW by changing them around on the primary and secondary and slave, it starts making this wierd "CLINK CLINK CLINK" everytime I boot. And in the BIOS it allows me to recognize it alone with nothing else connected, but now it says "MAXTOR RIGEL" and it shows it as a "0GB" HDD. Well I search on the net and it says it does that when the HDD is failing and no longer can read the disks in the HDD itself.

Well what my question is, was it my HDD all along that was causing it to only be recognized every 15 or so bootups, and only when it was by itself. (It didnt recognize it EVERY time by itself, only 1 out of every 5 or so bootups)? Could it be my harddrive that was making it do that? Or could it be more of my motherboard IDE slots doing that? AND did my HDD fail because I had reconnected and switched it around so many times (50+) and rebooted, or did it fail because it was actually the problem in the first place?

I switched over both the HDD and the CDRW from my old system. Could it not recognize them both because of the drivers I had on my HDD from my old system maybe? I was planning on reformatting and installing OS while it was in my new system.

I am thinking not though, because two differnet times I did in fact get them to both be recognized, but once I booted down, and booted back up, they no longer were, only the CDRW.

There is no new and old HDD. I'm putting my old HDD in the new system I built.

sounds like the IDE controller on the motherboard went bad. see if this hard disk that you suspect is dying works on the old computer. if it reconizes the "dead disk" that means your hard disk is actually fine and the controller is bad.

-editted to make sense, that was complete garbage what i wrote.....

Yes it was your hard drive all along Ive had that same problem working on computers.

You could try to switch to your other ide plug to see if hard drive is still ok just to make sure though.

hearing 'clink' in the hard drive means the read/write heads has crashed into the platter, and the hard drive no longer works

the old hard drive on this PC did the same, made clicking noises when it died

get yourself a new Seagate 80/120GB with 8MB buffer, you'll be glad you did

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom