My Free Boosted Wifi - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 12-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default My Free Boosted Wifi

Before I get too specific, this thread is to get a little support to buy the right parts, then to list the results so everyone can know.

I got the idea from some youtube stuff, I'll give credit when it's all done.

Basic Idea - use a USB wifi adapter, old Direct TV dish, and a usb extension cord to boost/gain wifi signal. (plus some other parts)

The quick question holding me back is - how far can a USB 2.0 extension be before it loses quality/degrades performance?

The reason this is an issue is I plan to mount the dish outside on the balcony (literally like a normal direct TV dish) then use an extension or series of extensions (in case of needing a usb hub to add power) and then the cord will go indoors several feet away from the wall/door where the dish is. (probably up to 20ft, maybe more.)

So I want to maintain signal strength, and power, but be able to have a long cord to rearrange the computer desk in the room if needed.

So before I go buying 30ft of USB cable I wanted some more detailed opinions besides what looks like gibberish added to boost sales. " won't degrade performance" "gold plated for superior transfer" etc.

I was also reading that I could connect several 3 foot cables, in between each a Hub, so the power remains constant and strong. IF this is true then the only problem is the first extention - i twill be from the device, down the rail, into the wall of the apartment and require at least 8ft.

I also wanted to take this a step farther:
With the basic wifi in place, and 1-2 computers set up to it. I wanted to be able to hook up a Xbox360 to this new boosted signal, if possible. But this poses a few problems - 1) MIcrosoft legality. 2)Safety of PC/Xbox/Fire hazard.

The original idea came from viewing the wireless net adaptor for the xbox - it just plugs into a USB port... so .. why can't a normal USB one be used? The answer may be because "360 is designed to ONLY" work with the special -expensive- usb adapter, or, simply no one has tried. Either way I intend to find out, hopefully without startin fires or burning some power supplies.
Dish+Wireless USB -------cable to indoors------ connect to USB hub---- split to Xbox360 and hub2----split to 2 pc.

Any ideas on this? and before we get started on much - I'll make sure the fire extinguisher is operational and close by.

The backup idea for gettin the 360 online with the dish is to use a PC connected to the dish , USB to dish, ethernet bridged to Xbox360. I have seen similar bridges made within the PC to give signals to the 360- since the 360 is designed to connect to a PC, to share media and the like - and sharing a internet connection is simply done within the PC's Internet Options ...

however at this point I don't know if either will work.
Windows 7 64bit
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67Ghz (Stock)
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 4890 XXX Edition@ 900Mhz (Stock)
Ram: OCZ Platinum 6GB DDR3 1600 Triple Channel (Stock)
Mobo: ASUS P6T Deluxe
PSU: Corsair TX750W
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache (ST31000333AS)
Cooler Master HAF 932
Closed Thread