My final Decision for a new computer (specs and what not)

Status
Not open for further replies.
make sure you use SATA when you buy the HD..
also, check warranties, seagate for example has only like 1 year..
the waranty won't really matter if the drive is going to last,

and last and last and last and last and last ..........

also, the warranty really depends on where you get the parts; different places, different warranty.

You dont need a dvd drive if you already have a combo drive, might lower the price a bit if your on a budget
he's getting a DVD+/- burner and a CDR/RW/DVD drive

the DVD burners are not incredibly fast yet, so the CDR/RW/DVD being 52x24x52x16 will get faster speeds for normal use - including on DVD disks - so there will be no/less latency, you'd only use the DVD burner for..... well, burning DVD's

also, you might want to watch what brands you get; picking a "bad" brand drive can leave you with just a dead/faulty box (the drive, not the PC)
Sony, Pioneer or LG would be my choices

OS: Mandrake, Redhat, or Whitebox Enterprise Linux, or Windows 2000, XP or 2003

naw... dont get the 9800XT, get the 6800 Ultra after all they are around the same price, difference is 6800U is sooo much better :D especially on low res

apokalipse said:
the waranty won't really matter if the drive is going to last,

and last and last and last and last and last ..........

also, the warranty really depends on where you get the parts; different places, different warranty.

he's getting a DVD+/- burner and a CDR/RW/DVD drive

the DVD burners are not incredibly fast yet, so the CDR/RW/DVD being 52x24x52x16 will get faster speeds for normal use - including on DVD disks - so there will be no/less latency, you'd only use the DVD burner for..... well, burning DVD's

also, you might want to watch what brands you get; picking a "bad" brand drive can leave you with just a dead/faulty box (the drive, not the PC)
Sony, Pioneer or LG would be my choices

OS: Mandrake, Redhat, or Whitebox Enterprise Linux, or Windows 2000, XP or 2003

I am aware of the problems with bad DVDRW drives considering I've owned two (NECs none the less - both failed within 2 months and wouldn't work or even read DVDs) The current one I have in my deskto is an LG which I"ve never had a problem with whatsoever. All the best drives i've ever owned are LG actually, but I hear certain certain distributions of Linux have trouble with the drives. I'm hoping that this won't happen with the drives I buy. I'll be running Debian and Win XP pro - I'm not that worried about the warranty because to be honest if I get a bad drive I just throw it away - I don't really worry much about warranties or even register most of the products i buy.

Gotta put my 2 cents in on that wireless keyboard and mouse. I went the cheap route and I regretted it everytime I used it. Ditto on that Logitech MX Duo. It's just like using a wired setup. Very nice mouse response. Make sure it's the MX Duo though because the mice is based on their very good stand alone wireless mouse MX700.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom