Is my external HDD functionally dead? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 05:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Is my external HDD functionally dead?

Is my external HDD functionally dead?
Over the last few days, I've been trying out different Linux distros, to see if I could find one that would play nice with my hardware. I was installing to my USB HDD (Western Digital Elements 1TB Model WDBAAU0010HBK).
This afternoon, I tried a fresh install of the current daily Sabayon, since it's Live DVD seemed to be OK with my hardware, esp my Radeon 6800 HD graphics card. I chose 'replace existing Linux installation' because I wanted it to overwrite the previous installation. All seemed to be going well until an unexpected error popped up and it said that the entire drive had to be reinitialised - this despite the fact that the Linux install was only in 350MB of the drive. I accepted the option to abort, as it said that reinitialising would wipe all the data, but then found that something had gone seriously wrong. First, my PC wouldn't boot with the USB drive installed. Then, after shutting the PC down and booting into Windows 7 64 Pro without the USB drive installed, I found that the drive was not recognised by Windows when I plugged it in. It first said "attempting to install the driver software failed" then the next time, listed it as unrecognised device (a 6 port USB Hub which sounded odd, although there were a total of 6 partitions on it), then subsequently, nothing at all. Now, the drive light is constantly flickering on it, but Windows 7 (and Vista on my laptop) just act like nothing's happened if I connect it.

I know that PEBKAC is the normal cause of issues like this, but I had done 4 or 5 troublefree installs of 3 different distros since Friday, and none had even threatened such a problem, nor did I deviate from what was by now a very familiar installation setup procedure.

I'm not terribly worried about the data, as everything on it, bar a half dozen jpegs, is also on my main HD, but is there any way to get my drive back - in any operating system?
---------------------------------------
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional , Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42
RAM: 4072 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 204799 MB, Free - 131951 MB; D: Total - 748966 MB, Free - 327223 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P8P67, Rev 1.xx, MT7013K32404829

Old 06-05-2011, 04:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: Is my external HDD functionally dead?

Does a Linux LiveCD recognize that its there?

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 06-06-2011, 01:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Does a Linux LiveCD recognize that its there?
It took me an embarrassingly long time to think of trying that but when I did a few hours after posting my inital query, it turned out that the answer is no, The LInux Live CD did not see the drive there at all either.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Private Joker

Have you tried taking the drive out of it's external casing and hooking it up internally to your PC? Or if you can't do that, trying to get a different external enclosure and putting the drive in there?

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 06-06-2011, 06:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Have you tried taking the drive out of it's external casing and hooking it up internally to your PC? Or if you can't do that, trying to get a different external enclosure and putting the drive in there?

I did think of that, but since removing it from the case will void the warranty, I think I'll just return it for a replacement, since it is only 3 weeks since I bought it.
Closed Thread