My DVD (data files) is not recognized by Windows! plz help_ReallyNead the files on it - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 05-21-2005, 10:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default My DVD (data files) is not recognized by Windows! plz help_ReallyNead the files on it

I have DVD that contains data files I have put on after I formated my computer. I've been using it for almost 2 weeks and it was always working. After I formated yesterday to Win XP SP2, it no longer ecognized the files!!!
After I insert the DVD into my DVD Burner drive, nothing shows up to ask me what to do. When I open My Copmuter, the name of the DVD does not show in the dvd drive section. Instead, I read "DVD-RW Drive (E)" When I double click on it, it takes a lot of time to open (the computer freezes most of the time) and nothing opens (blank folder)
The drive is working When i nsert any other DVD (data), it workds. Ialso have 1 which has a lot of scractches on it AND IT WORKS PERFECTLY When i insert it EVEN THOUGH THE ONE WHICH IS NOT WORKING HAS NO (almost) scraches!!! The DVDs are also the same brand so it cant be the DVD is not good

I have tried buring an image with alcohol 120 but at 99.8%, it gives me a read error and when Itry to open or mount the image, i get an error that the image files is not accessible

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!! CAN ANYONE HELP ME!!!! I need these files!! They are important !!!!

Thank You

Old 05-25-2005, 02:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Him Send a message via Yahoo to Him

Have you tried it on a different computer? How about rolling back to SP1?

Old 05-25-2005, 03:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Try restarting your computer with the disc in it sometimes it works.
[size=1]New build
dfi lanparty sli-dr
amd x2 3800+
evga 7800GTX
2 gigs (2 x 1gig) ocz ram
500 gigs (250gb x2) seagate hard drive
Windows XP Home Edition
Old 05-25-2005, 03:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I had the very same same problem once, DVD ROM/RW wouldn't recognise a burned DVD.

I'd browse through, search for your DVD ROM's appropriate drivers/BIOS updates. Worked for me
AMD X2 4400+ Toledo 1MB/Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe/2GB Kingston HyperX/SLI Gigabyte 7800 GTX 256MB/Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS Plat w/ Creative Inspire 6.1 speakers /180GB Hitachi PATA/19\" AG Neovo F-419 LCD/OCZ PowerStream 600W PSU/WinXP Home SP2
Old 05-30-2005, 04:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thank you for your replies...
I just opened it here at the coputer at school and it opened...I saw all the files!!
Im relieved but what can the problem be? All other DVDs are working at home (including data dvds) exept this one
How can I fix that?

Thank You
Old 05-30-2005, 05:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

If there are DVD writers at your school, you could re-burn the disc, and maybe then it will open at home?

Old 05-31-2005, 04:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

no...they dont have dvd rw...only dvd drive
What can the problem be?
Old 05-31-2005, 05:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

u say u formatted? do you actually mean you formatted, re-installed and added the service pack or upgraded. actually bad question coz then u wouldnt need 2 back everything up. i think checking for drivers is probably best as you may have had the correct driver b4 the format but lost it
Visit my website -
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 06-02-2005, 03:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

no, I formatted, reinstalled and added sp2.... how exactly can I check for dirvers? but if that was the case, shouldnt the DVD RW drive NOT be working AT ALL?? It is working perfectly with every other CD and DVD I have...only this one is not working.

Can this be related to another problem I have; It is that every internet site opens EXCEPT GMAIL!! When I type, :"THE PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED" appears! I have tried deleting cookies, temp... nothing is working~!!

Wierd problems~!! lol

3.4GHz i5 3570K / Asus P8Z77-V LE / 8 GB RAM / 120 GB SSD / 3 TB HD / 2 TB NAS
AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB / Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced / 32" Samsung LCD
13" MacBook Air (mid-2012) / 2.0 GHz Core i7 / 256 GB SSD / 8 GB RAM
Toshiba Satellite M645 / Intel Core i3 2.53GHz / 4 GB RAM / Win 7 Ultimate X64
Sony VAIO VGN-CS320J / Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1Ghz / 4 GB RAM / Win 7 Ultimate X64
Old 06-02-2005, 04:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

On Gmail, make sure you don't have a virus (not likely since you just formatted, but possible). If you don't, then make sure your browser is capable of encrypting things, as the gamil site is secure. Try installing a different browser and see if it your broswer's problem. Make sure your firewall isn't blocking things if you have one.

With the disc, was your computer prebuilt or did you make it yourself? If it's prebuilt, then I would call up the company and make sure you unstalled everythign they did when you reformatted. I have a dell laptop that I have wiped a couple of times, and the first time I did it ceased to run my mp3 player loader, crashing on transfer of files. So maybe you just don't have everything the probably strange hardware needs to run.

AGP won\'t fit in PCI-E... unless you use a really good hammer. ~Trotter
Closed Thread