My Computer restarts on its own if I fill the ram slots

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnfzpaul

Beta member
Hi all, I am new here and have a question to ask about my computer.
Any answers would be appreciated.

Here are my basic hardware components.

Board - k7t266 pro ver 2
Chip - athalon 1.3
opsys- xp pro

The situation I have is when I try to fill all three slots with ram (kingston 256 ddr) or I try to mix 1 256 with one 512 or 2 256 sticks with 1 512 stick or 3 256 sticks or dimms rather.

I have tested all the slots and they work fine, and I have tested all the dimms to make sure they work fine, and they do.

What happens if I try to fill the 3rd slot with either a 3rd 256 or a 512 the computer will boot all the way up to the log on password, it then shuts down and goes into reboot.

What is the situation here?

Thanks in advance:)

Paul

I want to add that I like this board and chip and it works very fast! I also have a duron 1.3 on a m7vig pro, and the board that I explained in my opening seems much better.

I like using this better than my gateway notebook with a 3.4 HT chip!
It's fun and quick!

YOu might be having a power shortage/supply problem. Your PSU might be sufficient enough to handle the 2 sticks, but not 3.

Have you Oced your board at all?

Like Elba said, it sounds like you are having a power shortage problem. What is the rating of your PSU?

Thank you both for replying.

I am not familiar with "oced", so I am thinking that I have not done that to my board yet.

The three sticks issue and the psu, maybe that is it. One thing however is that even if I use one stick of 256 and one stick of 512, it will react the same way as if I were going to use the 3 sticks of 256.

Here is some more info for you about my board.

There is an upgrade to my bios that I have not installed for me thinking there is no need.

I could I suppose, but I don't think that is the problem since the board and bios it came with is rated for 3 gig of ram.

OC stands for "Over Clocking". You are familiar with that terym, right?. If you didnt know if you have OCed or not, that means you havent.

Get the bios flash, that seems like it would be your only help. Also, try a differenct PSU.

Turn off the auto reboot function in Windows XP.

Go to:

Control panel
Double click the system icon to get to system properties
Once in System properties goto the
Advanced tab then click on
bottom settings button ( start up and recovery)
Find the box that says auto restart and uncheck it. Get out of all the windows and reboot, make sure all of the memory is installed.

Doing this will allow a blue screen to show up instead of the system restarting. Once you get the blue screen info please post it here so we can try and figure out what is happening.

Hope this helps.

Are you a member straight from Crucial? That absolutely rocks, you will be a huge asset to this forum.

set your bios to the default and maybe clear the CMOS before putting it in. some mobo's don't want to adjust the settings right, when you add new ram in all slots. I had that problem with a Msi K7N2 Delta 2 board, but getting an updated version of that board fix that problem

Him,

Yes, I am straight from Crucial and I have been around the forum for a while. I am stepping up my activity as I see it is somewhat needed, hehe.

Hope I can be an asset to you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom