My computer a little unstable ... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 01:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Question My computer a little unstable ...

After I installed my new MSI 6600GT for AGP, my system became ustable. I Updated the BIOS, install latest drivers for everything, but sometimes it runs into weird problems like the system won't shut down, or freese on some games. I was thinking of clearing CMOS and reformatting. Anyone have any sugestions?

P.S.: by the way, the post i made saying nvidia sux, well, i was h*!! of pissed cuz my card won't work in my new system, and i spent the whole day unpluging my computer, opening up, switching vid cards.. with no luck , so i ran into doom. Personally I like both ATI and nVidia, now i have an nvidia and I just had an ATI, both ran smooth and I don't see why a person would like the other brand better. I just built 2 athlon 64's for some friends, and they both have ATI cards, my old 9600SE and a 9600XT, both running smooth. Bottom line is, if you want a card under 100bucks you need an ATI, like 9600 because you won't find anything "band for the buck" nvidia cards for under $100, and if you want a quality card in the $200 and up range, you will have better luck with nVidia because they make good cards in the middle-high class range. hope it helped.

Old 01-29-2005, 05:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

If you went from ATI to this Nvidia card you do need to format and I'm almost willing to bet that'll solve your issue.

Old 01-30-2005, 01:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

ye, that is what i was thinking about, i think you could possibly remove the software from the ATI card, but it will end up being more of a pain than formatting. Well, i'll give it a shot and tell you how it went. ....i wanted to format my computer anyways!
Old 01-30-2005, 01:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

guru3d.com has programs for both ATI and Nvidia for completely removing all files from a previous card. Don't know exactly how well each works as I've never had to use it myself

The one for Nvidia is called nasty file remover, but that doesn't exactly help you for removing ATI stuff....think it's called like Detonator file remover or something
Closed Thread