My Computer - Getting Worse & Worse! Is there hope?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vormund

Daemon Poster
I was curious if anyone out there knows anything about this...

I have a self-built computer, three years old now...and day by day it's getting worse and worse!

AMD Athalon XP @ 1.1 GHz
512MB PC2700 DDR-SDRAM
Windows XP Pro.
Radeon 9500 Pro. 128MB DDR

The problems started about six months ago--every time I'd turn on the computer, it'd scan the hard drive for errors, claiming an improper shutdown. Then, two months ago, it started going to a black screen saying a windows file is corrupt, use the XP CD to restore the file--but simply restarting the computer at that point would get it going (only came up on a fresh start).

Then in the recent times, the screen is completely black. I turn on the computer, and no signal is sent (I'm guessing) to the monitor, so it's just flashing the power light...but after waiting approximently 10seconds, and restarting ('reset button'), it would go to the other problems--file corrupt screen, then the error scan...and this latest time, it took 4 resets for the screen to catch a signal...

All wires are plugged in good, and everything seems to be functioning properly, except for, of course, this problem I have...and I really have no idea where to start on fixing this. I planned on keeping this computer for another year or so--and hope this can be fixed! Anyways, any ideas/suggestions, please let me know!

Thanks,
-X

take the graphics card out and insert it back in firmly making sure it is sat properly in its slot. check the manufacturers websites for your motherboard and graphics card and see what the bios updates do, and see if they have any FAQ's to check if anyone else has been having similiar problems to you in terms of people who have the same motherboard or graphics card??

Email the manufacturer(s) for your motherboard company and graphics company.

BIOS problem?

Do you think this could pertain to the BIOS? This is my BIOS information:
BIOS Date: 12/15/01
BIOS Type: American Megatrends
BIOS ID: 62-1215-001131-00101111-040201-SiS735-K7S5A
OEM Sign-On: K7S5A Release 12/15/2001 S
Chipset: SiS 735 rev 1
Superio: ITE 8705/SiS 950 rev 1 found at port 2Eh
CPU: AMD 1100 Mhz MAX: 1200 Mhz
BIOS ROM In Socket: Yes
BIOS ROM Size: 256K
Memory Installed: 512 MB
Memory Maximum: 512 MB
Memory Slot 01: 512 MB
Memory Slot 02: 0 MB
Memory Slot 03: 0 MB
Memory Slot 04: 0 MB

I went to their web site, which is here:
http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/k7s5a.html, and found quite a few updates--but I've *never* updated a BIOS, and don't want to risk anything. I didn't really see that any of those updates pertained to my problems, but then again, I don't know these things!

I searched the net as far as others having the same problem--thing is, I'm not sure what to look under..."computer startup problem", "error scans", "ECS BIOS problems" ETC. all which came up with many listings, but I can't see any relation with any of the complaints (granted, I only went through the first couple dozen posts!)

Any idea as to what I should do now? I just want my computer back :)!

thanks!
-X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom