my computer is broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeeDeezy

Beta member
okay, last ditch effort before I kill my computer or myself :(

I guess I should start from the beginning (warning long story):

Six weeks ago I am playing counterstrike and my computer suddenly shuts off and will not start back up. When I try to turn it on again the CPU fan rotates 2-3 times and the computer shuts off. After a long process of putting my computer parts into my friends computer and visa-versa I discovered that my motherboard was broken, but the rest of my hardware was still working.

So, I go to CompUSA to get a replacement motherboard. I buy the mobo, and when I get home I discover that it doesn't support SATA (which my hard drives were). But, I find an old hard drive and decide to put the computer together anyway. Everything is hooked up and works fine! awesome!

**NOTE** one thing to remember is that the only different pieces of hardware right now are the CompUSA mobo and Hard Drive **NOTE**

So, because I bought the wrong mobo, I decide to RMA my broken one, and return the CompUSA mobo. When I get the RMA'd mobo back in the mail, I hook everything together and try to turn it on. The CPU fans rotate 2-3 times and the computer shuts off, same as when it originally died. Without I quickly come to the conclusion that the RMA'd motherboard was somehow faulty. Then, I decide to buy a brand new motherboard (same brand/type as the RMA'd one... but new out of the box) and when I hook up the brand new motherboard, I get the same results as before (CPU fan rotates 2-3 times, computer dies).

Okay, thoroughly confused. But the confusion doesn't end there!

Trying to assess the problem now, I decide to once again switch out my computer parts with my friends. My ram is good, my Vid card is good. When I tried to put my CPU into his computer, I got the same results (CPU fan rotates 2-3 times, computer dies).

This should have been enough to convince me that my CPU was bad and I bought a brand new mobo for no reason, but when we tried to put his CPU into my computer, CPU fan rotates 2-3 times, computer dies. The CPU's are almost identical, same brand and FSB, and they are compatible with the motherboards.

I am really leaning towards a dead CPU, but because my friend's CPU didn't work in my computer (and also because now I will be getting charged a 15% restocking fee for the brand new, and maybe unnecessary, motherbaord) I want to be cautious. ALSO, remember the **NOTE** about my computer working fine when I used the compUSA mobo?!?! ehh?!?! yeah... confusing.

Other things I have done:
-reset jumpers
-took out battery
-tried different power supply
-set up the computer out of the case
-tried a new monitor

Is there anything I am missing? Is it possible that between the time where I returned the CompUSA mobo and the RMA'd mobo that my processor fried?

I need some guidance, is there anything that I haven't tried that I should?

CPU: AMD 3000 XP "barton"
Mobo: MSI k7n2 delta
RAM: 2x 256 geil pc 3200
Vid Card: ATI 9700 Pro
Power Supply: 350 Watt

***EDIT TO THE ORIGINAL***
incase anyone was wondering, there were no mobo beeps

Could be that your fan is bad. If its not working properly it'll shut off causing your cpu to overheat which will cause your pc to shut itself off. I would think it was that or the psu, which you said you already switched...

Nnnnnnn, I don't think that it is the fan bobo, 'cause the whole comp shuts off. One fan couldn't do that...could it?

PeeDeezy, what kind of mobo does your friend have?

If your cpu is over heating it could cause the computer to shut off. It's happened to me many times. Also some mobos have a feature where if your temp goes up to high, it'll automatically shut the pc down. Plus its really the only thing he hasnt checked. Or so it seems.

Hmmmmmmmm. This is stranger than my current mishap. It could be that it's overheating...or maybe, if his friend's mobo is the same...there could be something between the CPU and mobo?

-bobo, that is something to think about, I will try that tomorrow when I have a little more energy, and I will post my results

-regulus, my friends motherboard is an asus-a7v8x

-regulus, I don't know if it could be anything between the CPU and mobo, because my computer was working fine for 1 year prior to the breakdown. They are compatible, if that is what you were wondering.

try a new fan/heatsink when i couldnt get my heatsink fully clipped in my computer wouldnt start because my mobo has an auto shutoff feature. oh, MAKE SURE U HAVE THERMAL PASTE

It sounds like a power supply issue, but you said you checked that so it must be the cpu overheating or something. Go with the other guys and make sure that your cpu has a good connection with the heat sink by using thermal paste.

Yeah, those chips heat up REAL fast. They'll shut down the pc in a hurry without thermal paste or a solidly seated heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom