my comp wont start, new cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericforman

Solid State Member
intel celeron 2.6(replaced the 1.7 cause i thought thats why the comp didnt start)
350watt psu
intel d845ebg2 mobo
gforce 4 mx440
samsung 512 ddr
maxtor 7200rpm 80gb hd

comp may have gotten shocked, comp was on one night there was a little rain it may have stormed i dont remember. next morning it was off. hit power button and fans kick on for a second then right off. nothing else happens. the little green light on the mobo is on as long as the comp is connected to the wall. i dont know jack about computers. any advice.

eric

on the psu note, i unplugged hd/cdrom/dvdrom/floppy to see if that helped. comp still didnt start. fans spin for a second then shut off. another interesting note. when i plug the comp in i can press the power button once the fans spin but it doesnt start but if i press it a second time the fans dont spin, nothing happens at all.

peace eric

me to!

Well this is my first post so hey you guys and girls! Im having the exact same problem, I switched out mb's last night to see if it worked and then I put the one i've been using in and I start it up and it runs but then cuts off just like that. So are you sure its the mb that is dead? Just wondering bc I had a big lan party I was "supposed" to be going to. Thanks for the help.

IAM_7154 said:
Im not sure, thats why I said sounds like....
could be a ps or heat issue
whats "ps" mean? im a newb.
is there any way i can check if my mobo works or not short of buying a new one to put in.

power supply.

try removing the ide devices and floppy drive. boot your computer with just the cpu and ram and obviously video, see what happens. If it shuts off after a few seconds, use a different power supply. You said you just got a new cpu so if you still have problems after trying different power supplys, it kind of narrows it down to the mobo.

If a mobo is damaged it doesnt mean its completely dead, Ive had boards where the fans spin but nothing else happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom