My clicking hard drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.
actually Seagate's have a slightly faster seek time, and have been tested to read/write almost as fast as even a Maxtor. if you have a bigger bandwith, that doesn't mean it's using it all.

and I've heard Seagate's are the only true SATA drives, all the other brands are on the inside PATA and emulating SATA, that's why you need drivers for them.

Seagate's are the best quality, and the quietest ever 7200RPM drives

- I'm not being paid by Seagate to say this, I earn money burger flipping

HoLoCroN said:
That doesn't surprise me, I bought a WD80 GB drive and within months that sucker crashed on me.

I checked WD's site to see if its still under warranty and it was so I returned it and got a refurbished one.

The crazy part was, a few months after that.. the NEW one failed on me too... needless to say I was upset, I re-sent the drive and a week later I get a new drive from WD.

If the your drive is still under warranty, you will probably have to go through WD in getting it replaced.

You can check to see if your drive is in warranty here

I've had 3 80 gb se Western Digital hard drives in 3 seperate computers all for 2 years or more.. They seem to work well for me.

my theory is that it's not whether it is western digital or maxtors, but it is from a batch of the same hard disks which are also the same exact models. OR it could be just all of them are bad that are a specific model (i.e. WD25000). i do not think that just the entire models produced from the same manufacturer are bad.

yea that's true, there's always bad batches and whatnot, where 1 out of every 20 cpu's are bad or whatever, 1 out of every 50 cd-r's are bad, etc... so yea i'm just gonna backup my pr0n =p and send it back to newegg and get a return item on it =) thanks all

Demalii said:
yea that's true, there's always bad batches and whatnot, where 1 out of every 20 cpu's are bad or whatever, 1 out of every 50 cd-r's are bad, etc... so yea i'm just gonna backup my pr0n =p and send it back to newegg and get a return item on it =) thanks all

lol once I sent in my hard drive with my os to the company I bought a computer from, and it came back with some Diamond software that allows the user to transfer mp3s to a mp3 player lmao.

[EDIT]
Sry that was off topic a bit I know ... just thought since the thread was nearing it's end I would add that :p

apokalipse said:
actually Seagate's have a slightly faster seek time, and have been tested to read/write almost as fast as even a Maxtor. if you have a bigger bandwith, that doesn't mean it's using it all.

and I've heard Seagate's are the only true SATA drives, all the other brands are on the inside PATA and emulating SATA, that's why you need drivers for them.

Seagate's are the best quality, and the quietest ever 7200RPM drives

- I'm not being paid by Seagate to say this, I earn money burger flipping

Have you even ever used a Sygate drive? Or have you just heard they are faster. I have a Maxtor drive with an average access time of 8.4 ms. Maxtor's new drives may be slower on that respect. However there is a reason why you don't find Sygate drives in many computers.. I would also like to see a site that proves those other brands don't have true SATA. I already know about the bandwidth limitations. I earn money repairing computers......

PS- Back when I was in repair class, there Sygate drives were in the free pile, they had access times of 10 or higher... Don't know what the company is doing now though...

ChaosBlizzard said:
Have you even ever used a Sygate drive? Or have you just heard they are faster. I have a Maxtor drive with an average access time of 8.4 ms. Maxtor's new drives may be slower on that respect. However there is a reason why you don't find Sygate drives in many computers.. I would also like to see a site that proves those other brands don't have true SATA. I already know about the bandwidth limitations. I earn money repairing computers......

PS- Back when I was in repair class, there Sygate drives were in the free pile, they had access times of 10 or higher... Don't know what the company is doing now though...
(sigh) must you always object?
I did do a little research before I posted above

1. SEagate, not SYgate

2. I DO OWN a Seagate drive

3. a 120GB Western Digital (8MB buffer) with guess what?:
Read Seek Time (Average) 8.9 ms
Write Seek Time (Average) 10.9 ms

and the 120GB Seagate (8MB buffer) has:
Seek time:8.5 ms avg

4. here, here and here all say that Seagate have pretty much the only true SATA drives
ok maybe Seagate aren't the only brand that does have true SATA, but there are very few HDD's that do, and WD isn't one of them

for a second there i thought he was talking about another brand called sygate which i have never heard of. it really doesn't matter which brands you prefer as long as your hard disk doesn't fail sooner than it should. no matter what brand you choose though you should always backup your data on a regular basis. i mirror all of my data to a second computer. and it's all encrypted so not even the FBI can steal my pr0n from me :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom