My clicking hard drive... - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-22-2004, 01:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
Apokalipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 14,559
Default

actually Seagate's have a slightly faster seek time, and have been tested to read/write almost as fast as even a Maxtor. if you have a bigger bandwith, that doesn't mean it's using it all.

and I've heard Seagate's are the only true SATA drives, all the other brands are on the inside PATA and emulating SATA, that's why you need drivers for them.

Seagate's are the best quality, and the quietest ever 7200RPM drives

- I'm not being paid by Seagate to say this, I earn money burger flipping
__________________

__________________
Apokalipse is offline  
Old 05-22-2004, 10:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 303
Send a message via ICQ to mdshort Send a message via AIM to mdshort Send a message via Yahoo to mdshort
Default

I have two WD drives and their fine.
60gb and a 40gb.
__________________

__________________
\"With every rise, there is a fall.\"

Need a good cheap host? Click Here
mdshort is offline  
Old 05-22-2004, 02:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 193
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by HoLoCroN
That doesn't surprise me, I bought a WD80 GB drive and within months that sucker crashed on me.

I checked WD's site to see if its still under warranty and it was so I returned it and got a refurbished one.

The crazy part was, a few months after that.. the NEW one failed on me too... needless to say I was upset, I re-sent the drive and a week later I get a new drive from WD.

If the your drive is still under warranty, you will probably have to go through WD in getting it replaced.

You can check to see if your drive is in warranty here
I've had 3 80 gb se Western Digital hard drives in 3 seperate computers all for 2 years or more.. They seem to work well for me.
__________________
Before posting ask your question here:
<form method=\"get\" action=\"http://www.google.com/search\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"q\" size=\"5\" maxlength=\"255\" style=\"width:200px;\" /><input type=\"submit\" name=\"ask\" value=\"Ask\" style=\"width:40px\" />
</form>
modemide is offline  
Old 05-22-2004, 05:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,937
Default

my theory is that it's not whether it is western digital or maxtors, but it is from a batch of the same hard disks which are also the same exact models. OR it could be just all of them are bad that are a specific model (i.e. WD25000). i do not think that just the entire models produced from the same manufacturer are bad.
ekÆsine is offline  
Old 05-22-2004, 09:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,878
Send a message via ICQ to Demalii Send a message via AIM to Demalii Send a message via Yahoo to Demalii
Default

yea that's true, there's always bad batches and whatnot, where 1 out of every 20 cpu's are bad or whatever, 1 out of every 50 cd-r's are bad, etc... so yea i'm just gonna backup my pr0n =p and send it back to newegg and get a return item on it =) thanks all
Demalii is offline  
Old 05-22-2004, 09:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 193
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Demalii
yea that's true, there's always bad batches and whatnot, where 1 out of every 20 cpu's are bad or whatever, 1 out of every 50 cd-r's are bad, etc... so yea i'm just gonna backup my pr0n =p and send it back to newegg and get a return item on it =) thanks all
lol once I sent in my hard drive with my os to the company I bought a computer from, and it came back with some Diamond software that allows the user to transfer mp3s to a mp3 player lmao.

[EDIT]
Sry that was off topic a bit I know ... just thought since the thread was nearing it's end I would add that
__________________
Before posting ask your question here:
<form method=\"get\" action=\"http://www.google.com/search\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"q\" size=\"5\" maxlength=\"255\" style=\"width:200px;\" /><input type=\"submit\" name=\"ask\" value=\"Ask\" style=\"width:40px\" />
</form>
modemide is offline  
Old 05-22-2004, 09:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 559
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by apokalipse
actually Seagate's have a slightly faster seek time, and have been tested to read/write almost as fast as even a Maxtor. if you have a bigger bandwith, that doesn't mean it's using it all.

and I've heard Seagate's are the only true SATA drives, all the other brands are on the inside PATA and emulating SATA, that's why you need drivers for them.

Seagate's are the best quality, and the quietest ever 7200RPM drives

- I'm not being paid by Seagate to say this, I earn money burger flipping
Have you even ever used a Sygate drive? Or have you just heard they are faster. I have a Maxtor drive with an average access time of 8.4 ms. Maxtor's new drives may be slower on that respect. However there is a reason why you don't find Sygate drives in many computers.. I would also like to see a site that proves those other brands don't have true SATA. I already know about the bandwidth limitations. I earn money repairing computers......

PS- Back when I was in repair class, there Sygate drives were in the free pile, they had access times of 10 or higher... Don't know what the company is doing now though...
ChaosBlizzard is offline  
Old 05-22-2004, 09:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 193
Default

Hitachi makes the fastest 7200 rpm drives now.
__________________
Before posting ask your question here:
<form method=\"get\" action=\"http://www.google.com/search\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"q\" size=\"5\" maxlength=\"255\" style=\"width:200px;\" /><input type=\"submit\" name=\"ask\" value=\"Ask\" style=\"width:40px\" />
</form>
modemide is offline  
Old 05-23-2004, 07:49 AM   #19 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
Apokalipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 14,559
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by ChaosBlizzard
Have you even ever used a Sygate drive? Or have you just heard they are faster. I have a Maxtor drive with an average access time of 8.4 ms. Maxtor's new drives may be slower on that respect. However there is a reason why you don't find Sygate drives in many computers.. I would also like to see a site that proves those other brands don't have true SATA. I already know about the bandwidth limitations. I earn money repairing computers......

PS- Back when I was in repair class, there Sygate drives were in the free pile, they had access times of 10 or higher... Don't know what the company is doing now though...
(sigh) must you always object?
I did do a little research before I posted above

1. SEagate, not SYgate

2. I DO OWN a Seagate drive

3. a 120GB Western Digital (8MB buffer) with guess what?:
Read Seek Time (Average) 8.9 ms
Write Seek Time (Average) 10.9 ms


and the 120GB Seagate (8MB buffer) has:
Seek time:8.5 ms avg

4. here, here and here all say that Seagate have pretty much the only true SATA drives
ok maybe Seagate aren't the only brand that does have true SATA, but there are very few HDD's that do, and WD isn't one of them
__________________
Apokalipse is offline  
Old 05-23-2004, 06:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,937
Default

for a second there i thought he was talking about another brand called sygate which i have never heard of. it really doesn't matter which brands you prefer as long as your hard disk doesn't fail sooner than it should. no matter what brand you choose though you should always backup your data on a regular basis. i mirror all of my data to a second computer. and it's all encrypted so not even the FBI can steal my pr0n from me
__________________

ekÆsine is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.