My clicking hard drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demalii

Fully Optimized
Alright I've had this 80g WD hard drive for hardly 9 months, I woke up to the sound of "click, spin... click, spin" where the spin was like when the disk started up from a complete stop. So i restarted my pc and it did it a few more times, now everything seems to be fine. Sounds to me like the hard drive is going bad? Or could it have been something on the hard drive? Anyways, I'm taking no time at all in contacting newegg to get me another hard drive hehe and send this bad boy back..

That doesn't surprise me, I bought a WD80 GB drive and within months that sucker crashed on me.

I checked WD's site to see if its still under warranty and it was so I returned it and got a refurbished one.

The crazy part was, a few months after that.. the NEW one failed on me too... needless to say I was upset, I re-sent the drive and a week later I get a new drive from WD.

If the your drive is still under warranty, you will probably have to go through WD in getting it replaced.

You can check to see if your drive is in warranty here

HoLoCroN said:
That doesn't surprise me, I bought a WD80 GB drive and within months that sucker crashed on me.

I checked WD's site to see if its still under warranty and it was so I returned it and got a refurbished one.

The crazy part was, a few months after that.. the NEW one failed on me too... needless to say I was upset, I re-sent the drive and a week later I get a new drive from WD.

If the your drive is still under warranty, you will probably have to go through WD in getting it replaced.

You can check to see if your drive is in warranty here

Well you know my stance on WD. I don't like them because of what you both went through. I have been through it more times than I would have liked. WD hdd's are just short lived. I stand by maxtor.

Demalii have you backed up your hard disk data yet? if not back it up right NOW!....you know just in case it goes bad and you lose all that pr0n you have been downloading for the last few months. do not exchange for the exact same model. get the 120GB 8MB version instead... or better yet get a seagate

I agree with eksine on that one .. though the WD is defianately faster than the Seagate ... they are not as durable as the seagate .

preet2u said:
I agree with eksine on that one .. though the WD is defianately faster than the Seagate ... they are not as durable as the seagate .

Sygate has to produce the slowest hard drives you can buy.... Some fool tried to tell me he had a ATA 100 Sygate drive that had a 5.5 ms access time. He was dead convinced too.

shoot, i'm almost done downloading vol. 8, as soon as i finish that i'll backup lol... but newegg will send me another of this exact model, is there a way i can get a 120 through them? like pay the extra 20 bucks or whatever? hrm.. I thought WD was supposed to be good, I've used them since I was 11 and never had a problem till I built this back in oct. when I got my first 120g it was DOA, now my 80g is crapping out on me. I've heard seagate is good too, but if they're slower, I don't want to sacrifice speed ya know.. anyways

Demalii said:
shoot, i'm almost done downloading vol. 8, as soon as i finish that i'll backup lol... but newegg will send me another of this exact model, is there a way i can get a 120 through them? like pay the extra 20 bucks or whatever? hrm.. I thought WD was supposed to be good, I've used them since I was 11 and never had a problem till I built this back in oct. when I got my first 120g it was DOA, now my 80g is crapping out on me. I've heard seagate is good too, but if they're slower, I don't want to sacrifice speed ya know.. anyways

Sygates have a slower access rate compared to the other brands. I think they are going for the slow and steady type of hdd. LOL, that's a statement you don't hear everyday: "I used them since I was 11".

well i mean i've used western digi since i've had my first computer.. and each one lasted me 3 or 4 years.. now i'm getting this crap, it's just depressing =( hehe

If your HD does decide to die before you back up all your info, I have a neet trick to help out.

Stick your hd in your fridge for an hour or two, then load it back in your system and grab as many files as you can ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom