Mutiple Hard Drive Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

stigmata8603

Beta member
Hey, this looks like a place with alot of smart people so hopefully someone knows what's wrong. Usally I'm pretty good with this kinda stuff but I can't figure out what happened. So I have recently added a new Western Digital 80GB hard drive to my computer. So I setup Windows XP Pro on it. Now I still have my old 40GB Maxtor in the computer as well as the slave. I just finished moving some files from the 80GB drive over to the 40GB drive as its just music and some files that I don't need right on the 80GB drive. Then I restarted the computer and noticed that the 40GB Slave isn't listed in My Computer. So I checked Device Manager and it doesn't display there either. I tried adding new hard wizard but it doesn't detect it. When I check the bios both drives are detected. Any help as to get the drive displayed back in windows? The slave drive not showing doesn't have an OS on it either, it's just storage.

check the master/slave pins on them
cable select means that the middle connector is master and the end connector is slave
but its better to use pins
i just had this problem with cdroms
i set them up as cable select it wouldnt detect none gave me a cable error in dos

so i setup master/slave pins accordingly on them and started up found both drives no problem
go to dos and see if u can use auto detect function to find them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom