multiple mice? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 05:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default multiple mice?

is it possible to run 2 mice on windows xp pro? i want to be able to game and still have a cursor on my 2nd monitor. Is this possible?

Old 06-09-2005, 06:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to GrimReaper23

I don't think so.

Old 06-09-2005, 06:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

try it with 2 usb mice, or 1 ps/2 and 1 usb.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

I highly doubt you'd even come close to getting that to work......the only suggestion is to buy one of those little things that's used to hook up two computers with...where cables for the monitor, keyboard, and mouse are able to come from to computers....meat into one box...and from there you plug in your actual mouse, keyboard and single monitor.......by using a combination of keys on the keyboard it switches computers........you might be able to put both monitor cables on each of your graphic card outputs, set in the control panel to have the '2nd monitor' enabled.....so when you do the switch over command it basically just goes to your 2nd monitor instead which is technically using a single monitor still....but then you'd have to have your other mouse in the 2nd mouse part of the little switch box, go to a 2nd method USB port........

I'm confused just trying to explain that so no doubt you won't get what I'm saying

Basically, simply put I don't believe that'll be happening.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to GrimReaper23

be a good way to work your opposite hand better as in hand eye cordination and
Old 06-09-2005, 07:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

You can have two mice

But you have one cursor
Old 06-09-2005, 07:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

even if you did manage to get that working, every time you would click on the other monitor, it would minimise the game.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Nubius
I highly doubt you'd even come close to getting that to work......the only suggestion is to buy one of those little things that's used to hook up two computers with...where cables for the monitor, keyboard, and mouse are able to come from to computers....meat into one box...and from there you plug in your actual mouse, keyboard and single monitor.......by using a combination of keys on the keyboard it switches computers........you might be able to put both monitor cables on each of your graphic card outputs, set in the control panel to have the '2nd monitor' enabled.....so when you do the switch over command it basically just goes to your 2nd monitor instead which is technically using a single monitor still....but then you'd have to have your other mouse in the 2nd mouse part of the little switch box, go to a 2nd method USB port........

I'm confused just trying to explain that so no doubt you won't get what I'm saying

Basically, simply put I don't believe that'll be happening.
Yeah, a KVM switch. I have one, they're really for using 2 computers with one keyboard, mouse, and monitor. I doubt it would do what you want.

\'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you **** well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.\'

Old 06-09-2005, 10:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

i remember with the macs we had in our school we could plug our mouse to someone elses keyboard usb and control their cursor hehe, but i dont know if it would work with windows
Old 06-09-2005, 10:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Techie

You can't have two cursors going at once in Windows. However, it's easy to have two mice hooked up at once. It's as simple as just connecting them up. They will respond, but only one will work at a time, due to the basic functionality of the cursor.

For this situation, though, this is not what you want. Aside from just having a seperate computer, what you can do is force your game to run as in a window. Then you could just pan your cursor over from one screen to the next. It's cloogy, but works.

If all else fails, you could just use ALT-TAB to switch between apps. If that's not good enough, then you need to figure out what your priorities are. Playing the game, or messing around with other crap.

-----------------------------------------------
Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
Closed Thread