multiboot ram issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobo

In Runtime
I operate a triple boot system and today I tried to add a stick of 256 ram to replace a 128 stick. the machine seemed to work well on 98 and w2k but continually brought on errors in xp. some as soon as the desktop launched and some as soon as I clicked on anything..Could there be some issues with hte setup in xp or is this simply a compatability issue ?

Over the period of about an hour of switching slots, changing the other stick , reseating, etc I had several errrors from irq not les than or equal to bsod (ooooooo7) to actually not being able to boot ino the os itself.

The two 128 sticks that were in the slots before i started were apacer and kingston.SinceI only had two slots I tried each of them.

At one point I took out the 256 stick, cleaned the contacts and dusted the slots then inserted it into a different slot. Xp then booted and was online for about 15 minutes when i figured i wiould start opening some programs to test it. The first program after IE and outlook express was Irfanview. Thats when It gave a BSOD and began memory dump. Iremoved it , inserted my original 128 stick and vowed to try and return it..

what is the cl rating on the 256mb stick? if it is different or if your board doesnt support it xp will have many problems like that, the reason 2k and 98 dont bring up those problems is because they dont have to access the higher memory like win xp does (since xp is more of a system hog)

Actually I ran mem test while in 98 and it did in fact come back as faulty ram so i returned it and picked up a different brand somewhere else, although a little more cash it workes like a dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom