msconfig.exe (startup):: delete the unchecked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag3

Fully Optimized
I have noticed whenever Spyware gets on my PC, sometimes it will dump some crap into the startup. When I msconfig it, they show up ok. So, I uncheck what I don't want started up.

When I restart, the apps are still unchecked, however, they are still in the Startup list. Is there anyway to remove them?

Can someone post a list of what windows actually needs in the startup config please! I unchecked some stuff, but some of it I can't tell whether it's something windows needs or whether it's spyware and crap. Thanks.

That ones easy. Windows XP NEEDS nothing. You can uncheck and delete all of that if you want. Just beware some of your hardware like printers, USB devices etc do. If you know what files your hardware needs you can delete what it doesn't. Don't know any other way to say it.

on the topic, i have about 2 blank startup items, and a "null" or two. Can I assume all of these can be disabled? Anyone know what they mean (the blanks, or the nulls"?

Thx

The best time to delete startup entries is right after a fresh install of XP. Windows can function 100% without the startup items. You'll actually be amazed at how much you can disable on your system. For a great link to tweaking your system check out this site. I would recommend this to anyone, my benchmarks went up a significant amount after the tweaks. Plus it's a good learning experience! Have fun :p

[link]http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=review&dId=324[/link]

<--- smacks self. Make sure you leave out the [link] and [/link]. Have had a few too many drinks tonight lol. Hope it helps.

you can actually run any program in XP without explorer.exe
you can get into a game, press ctrl+alt+del then close every program (or every program it allows you to close) including explorer.exe but excluding the game, then:
1. the game has more resources to run on
2. the game actually does run perfectly fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom