motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

momtonate

Solid State Member
We are rebuiling a computer and I was wondering if it is better to install a motherboard with built-in sound and video cards than to install the cards separately as expansion cards?

Depends on what you are using the machine for. The onboard sound is fine for 2.1 sound. The onboard Video is fine for the basics but if your doing real gaming then you would want to upgrade the video.

I would agree with Shawn, if your just surfing the web, E-mail and other low key stuff onboard sound a video will work fine. If your gaming defiantly go with an AGP,PCI/e video card. If you want really good sound I'd go with a sound card as well.

Basically, it all depends on the purpose of your machine. If you wanted to play games, it would be best to either make sure that the motherboard had a good graphics card in it, or buy a separate graphics card and install that. Just make sure you have the correct slot for the card that you want.

As with sound, get your own sound card if you want high quality sound but usually you will find the sound card that comes with a motherboard is ok.

It all depends how much money your willing to spend, but for maximum quality for video and sound, get separate cards and install them. However, the most economical move is usally to get a mobo combined with sound and graphics.

Onboard sound is more fine than fine these days, I have onboard connected to my surround sound reciever, and get pretty good 5.1, but I have never had a seperate sound card on decent speakers to hear it.

As for video, onboard is all you will ever need for surfing the internet, but isn't much use for the modern day 3d games, but you don't need to spend $300 to play the odd game, there are $60 carsd that can play games with good eye candy, with a good frame rate.

Like all have said, it depends. If you want to play low end games, like Midtown Madness, don't bother gettting a card. IF you want to play something like Halo, or Doom3, you must get a high end video card. Onboard sound is alright, even for gaming, but if you want better quality, get a sound card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom