motherboard types

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomW

In Runtime
Hello, Is there some way to tell what type of motherboard I need to replace a motherboard I have? I mean I have a M5ALA socket 7 board, Say I want to replace it with something more up to date. Is there some kind of model code or something to ID boards so I can get one that will fit in place of the one I have? All the PCs I have had apart have totally different shaped motherboards and wire hookups. I hope I explained what I am asking in a way that makes sence. Tom W

Hi again, I was just looking on ebay at boards and the ones with ATX in discription looks alot like mine. Does that mean ATX stands for the style of the board? Tom W

no motherboards are catagorized mainly by the type of processor they support, in your case you need a socket 7 motherboard. i am assuming your motherboard went bad and you want to simply replace it , but you still want to re-use all the other hardware?

also you must make sure the motherboard supports the speed of your processor. for example you have a socket 478 processor with a frequency of 3.0 (Ghz) gigahertz but your motherboard only supports socket 478 up to 2.4 Gigahertz (Ghz), you cannot use that processor on that motherboard.

if you are still unsure please tell us the specific motherboard you want to get and tell us what hardware you currently have now including memory make/ model, processor make/ model, ect

Hi, I have a PC I am working on and I am pretty sure the problem is the board. All the other stuff works on another PC and just got a new cpu and it still is the same. It has no OS and it stops at verifying DMI data pool...... and the red light is on for a while and then goes out. I left it set over night one time and was the same the next morning. It is a M5ALA ver2.0 with a brand new AMD K6-2 500 speed CPU, I now have 2 of these CPUs because I thought maybe that was the problem but is the same. The board is set at 100 speed at X5. Is it worth having this board checked or just scrap it and get something else? Will this CPU run XP with enough dimm and 18 gig of hard drive? Anyone have a suggestion on another board that would be better and still let me use the k6-2 or are they no good either. It is just a old PC I am playing with and don't really need it so I don't want to spend alot on it, just a learning experience. We spent alot of money on it when we got it and so I would like to make it work again and also improve it some also. I have replaced the board already with a used one from ebay but at the time did not know the dimm sticks were bad, it would just sit and make one long beep with the old dimm so I don't know if the bad dimm might have messed up this board to or if I just got stuck with a bad board to begin with, it was a used board. same board but a ver 2.0 old one was ver 1.2 I think, also went from a AMD 400 to AMD 500 CPU book says it can be set at 100 speed up to X5.5. It acts normal when starting up, one short beep then goes through the boot up procedure with the lights comming on in the floppy drive and cd drive and keyboard, hard drive starts and fans run, reset works but it gets stuck at the DMI thing. When the PC was working from new on it froze all the time with 98 on it, I read about problems with the M5ALA board causing this. I put 98 from the same disk on a old packard bell and it don't freeze it is just slow because of slow CPU. I tried booting with boot disk and 98 install disk but it won't read either one of them. It looks to me like it has detected all the right stuff installed in it also. I have down loaded some update drivers for the board but can't update if I can't get it to where I can install OS. Sorry for the long post. TomW

Hi, Is there anyone close to Wisconsin that could check and maybe fix the M5ALA board I have? Or is it to old and out dated to mess with. TomW

That was a pretty long mail .. Tom .. left me a little :confused: .. Anywayz.. Here what u do ..

1. Disconnect all the cables to ur harddrive n' CDdrive's ..

2.Boot up the system .. see if goes past the verifying DMI pool stage.

3.If it does .. so far so good .. connect the drives back .. one at a time n' boot up .. This will help u figure out if there's any problem with the drives or the ide cables connecting the drives.

4.If it didn't go past the verifying DMI pool stage . then try replaceing the memory .. If u have multiple memory modules ..use one at a time .. try that with diff slots too(just in case a slot has a problem)

Hope this helps u out .. Else keep things posted here..
N' the next time u post ..mention a list of the components u have.

Hi, For memory do you mean the dimm sticks? I have 2 brand new ones,64 by 100 speed the both work in another PC. Everything worked in another PC, but I will try what you said and let you know what happens, Thanks, TomW

Yes .. i do mean the DIMM's .. If ur sure it's workin' it

Problem mite be with the slots ..
Just try the stuff i asked u to do earlier anywayz

Hi, I have done everything you suggested and nothing works. I have noticed that the memory test always says 65536K with big or small HD or 64 or 128 of Dimm. What is that telling me? TomW

sorry, my mistake, with 2 64 dimms it says 131072K, with one 64 it says 65536K I didn't have one snapped in all the way. TomW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom