motherboard standoffs 101 please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonie

In Runtime
would someone educate me as to the purpose and benefit of using standoffs to mount your motherboard? They look like little screws to me and thats about as much as I know.

Also, I plan to use the haf x with the asus z68 deluxe if this affects which standoffs will work. could someone show me where to get such items?

thanks!

Stand-offs hold your board above the (normally) aluminum backing. They are made of brass, non-conductive. If your board was right against the plate, it would short out, possibly kill it. Also keeps your motherboard secure in your case, in event of any movement.

A standoff is used in mechanics and electronics to separate two parts from one another. Standoffs can be many shapes and sizes and made of many different materials. Insulating standoffs may keep two parts from touching each other, thereby preventing an electronic short

Short outs?! Ew we cant be doing that. Ok on newegg i am failing to find standoffs, and do motherboards support threaded holes for these screws or is this like a mod, not everyday kinda of thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom