Motherboard and Processor Question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 07-28-2004, 11:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Exclamation Motherboard and Processor Question

Hey guys, I am trying to determine what motherboard I have in order to see how much I can upgrade its bits and pieces. I will list all the numbers that are visible up above and hopefully you all can help me out. Above the "Copyright 1998" there is a number: 980930. To the right of this gigantic black thing below the power supply there are some numbers and letters: M103 94V-8 0299. All of the other numbers and letters I see are tiny. However, in the BIOS I obtained some numbers that went with the Chipset number: i440BX-W977TF-2A69KPCB. Help me, plz.

Also, when the time comes, I obviously know where the processor chip is, and know that the little black thing next to it pulls back so that one can access it, but how do you get it out? Are there precautions or does it just require some pulling? Lastly, I would like to thank you all, esp. if the same people that answered my last post answer this post. THX!

Old 07-28-2004, 12:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Talking =)

Help!!!... again. =)

That gigantic black thing has a fan on it and says, get this, intel pentium II processor with MMX technology and has a fan on it

I need help, being a noob, in explaining this and the processor chip, which is on the other side of the board. I don't even know what I'm asking, but I'm looking for an explanation.

I'm trying to fix up this old thing a little without going all out. I just want to know how far I can take it. Thanks...

Old 07-28-2004, 12:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

u want to make sure that you ground yourself before going into the computer. you can buy a wrist band to do this, you can buy one a pc store, or you could just touch your power supply.

i'm not exactly sure what you're asking though.

to take out the processor, remove the fan, lift up that black latch that you see beside the slot, and gently lift the processor out put it somewhere safe from harm.

if you have anymoe questions, or can ask again in a little more detail, please do so.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I am trying to identify the motherboard by looking at these numbers so that I know how far I can upgrade this old computer.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I believe I have identivied it as a Pine TL-BX31 mainboard, which is no longer in production... but I am really having trouble finding information on it. Also, the big black thing was JUST a fan, I think, which happened to be labeled as P2 MMX processor. Weird. Anyway, I still need to know what I can do to it. Thx.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

Your upgrading..It sounds like you need a new motherboard.
AMD 3800+ X2
Zalman CNPS7000B CPU Heatsink/Fan
ASUS A8N Premium
2 GB G. Skill DDR 400 (2 X 1 GB)
1 GB Ultra DDR 400 (2 X 512 GB)
eVGA 7800GT 256MB
120 GB seagate HD (7200RPM)
80 GB Seagate HD (7200RPM)
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platium ZS Sound Card
Logitec z5300 5.1 THX certified speaker
Medusa 5.1 Headphones
ATI TV turner card
DVD Drive
CD Burner Drive
Razer Copperhead Gaming mouse
Old 07-28-2004, 08:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to D4RK GR4YL3N

The Intel i440BX was made for Pentium 3's, but you sound like you have a Pentium 2 MMX? Either way the 440BX has an AGP slot and SDRam. Try running CPU-Z to find out what exact cpu you have.

Athlon 64 @ 2.3 ghz
Chaintech mobo
9800 Pro
1 gig RAM
2x 160 gig sata
Audigy 2 zs
Closed Thread