Motherboard issues/Beep Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggerB

Baseband Member
Right now I'm troubleshooting my brother-in-law's HP Pavillion.

Mobo: ASUS A7V-VM
CPU: AMD Athlon 1200

Not sure about the HD, and memory is part of the issue.

This system was running slowly, and I discovered that he only had 128MB of RAM, running Windows XP. I told him he needed more memory, and that I would go to the shop with him to make sure he got the right stuff.

A couple of weeks later he calls me up and asks me to come help him put his new memory in. I asked him how he knew what kind of memory to get, and he told me he took the 128 stick he had in there out, and took it to the shop. Fair enough, I said.

I got there, unplugged the machine, and carefully put both sticks of memory in, and turned it on. No response... no video, no beep codes, nothing but HD light and the whirring of fans. Anyone see what happened yet?

He told me he had a friend try to put the memory in for him, and it didn't work, so they took it out again and waited for me. Upon further questioning, I found out that he didn't unplug the power from the machine when he pulled out the RAM. I'm not even sure he turned the hard power switch off.

Anyways, I've already told him he needs a new motherboard, but I'm playing around with it anyways. I want to know more about what's wrong.

When I turn it on, like I said before, I get nothing. But, if I hit the reset button, I get beep codes. This mobo has Phoenix BIOS, but the beep codes I'm getting do not match anything on any lists posted on the internet.

Phoenix BIOS typically uses three sets of beeps. For instance, 1-2-1 (1 beep, pause, 2 beeps, pause, 1 beep). I'm getting four sets of beeps.

I've tried other memory sticks than the ones he used, with varying results... but I still don't get a post.

Beep codes I get:

with his memory, I get
1-3-3-1

with my memory, I get
1-1-1-1

Like I said, these combinations do not correspond with any lists I've found posted on the internet.

Anyone got any insight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom