Motherboard Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

glopal

Solid State Member
So, i have this research project i am doing at school in one of my computer classes. I have to make a list of components i would use to make my computer. And i dont really know too much. so i have some questions...

What socket should i go with, a friend told me to go 448, but i really dont know?

When i look at all the different motherboards, they all look the same pretty much. What differences do motherboard have?
I know there is chipset, socket, number of pci slots, max ram. Thats all i really know, is there more.

What chipset should i go with?

What manufacturer?

What is hyper threading?

Any any other suggestions would be helpful.

Here is want i want this computer for:
Some gaming
Possibibily some big apps (flash and/or photoshop)
Music and other multimedia
Want the computer to last me awhile.

glopal said:
So, i have this research project i am doing at school in one of my computer classes. I have to make a list of components i would use to make my computer. And i dont really know too much. so i have some questions...

What socket should i go with, a friend told me to go 448, but i really dont know?

When i look at all the different motherboards, they all look the same pretty much. What differences do motherboard have?
I know there is chipset, socket, number of pci slots, max ram. Thats all i really know, is there more.

What chipset should i go with?

What manufacturer?

What is hyper threading?

Any any other suggestions would be helpful.

Here is want i want this computer for:
Some gaming
Possibibily some big apps (flash and/or photoshop)
Music and other multimedia
Want the computer to last me awhile.

Going with intel chipset should be fine for intel processors. NForce chipset is also fine. I would stay away from VIA.

ABit or ASUS are decent brands for motherboards. MSI Isn't bad either.

Hyper threading, in layman's terms, makes your computer think you have 2 processors, so it can more efficiently thread tasks.

Unless you have a lot of PCI devices lined up, you probably won't be using very many PCI slots. Most new motherboards come with stuff like RAID controllers, SATA connectors, onboard sound, onboard LAN, and more, which makes PCI slots more and more extinct.

I would recommend the socket 478 type, as there have been some complaints, albeit not that many, that the LGA775 connectors can rather easily get damaged pins. There's probably nothing wrong with LGA775, but 478 is tried and true.

I was reading the AMD vs Intel forum and amd sounds cool, so i went to look at some of them and i am completely confused!

So i am assuming that 1ghz intel is different from 1ghz AMD, what would be 4ghz Intel in AMD???

People were saying that AMDs were cheaper then intel, yet i saw one for $900CDN, the intel one i was planning to get is only $296.

So can someone help me, like wat socket for AMD do i want, and how many ghz do i want, and i see that AMD is also measuring their chips in BITs, i really need some help, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom