motherboard and cpu help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wikidsticks

Beta member
hey guys, im new on here and i just bought a radeon graphics card off a mate for $70 aus.

ive got an intel celeron 1.7, 512mb of ram, 40gig hdd, 256mb radeon 9600pro. my mobo is a gigabyte ga-8SI-MLH rev 3.1

the problem that im having is that when im playing my games (need for speed underground 2, GTA san andreas) i find that the games lag a bit. i have to run the quality quite low (low to medium graphics on 800x600) to get em to run relatively smooth.

im thinking that the my processor is the bottleneck, as my step dad has the same video card, same RAM, but better mobo and cpu (AMD stuff)

ive got all the latest drivers, software etc.. overclocked it and its still crap. lol

im pretty poor as im saving for a new car.. so im on a bit of a budget.

ive been onto www.gigabyte.com.au and they dont have my motherboard :(

what do you guys think i should do? if i can ill just get a new cpu, if not ill have to get a both..

if you want i can take pics of it, hope i gave enough info.

chears, dan

Heyyo,

Hmm, the cpu definately is bad. Very slow. You'll definately need a newer one. Sadly, you can't be cheap on your cpu since it's intel and their cpu's are expensive. You can buy an Intel P4 3.0GHz E for about $256 cad.... so yeah...

Anywho dude, your vidcard is fine since I have the same. My cpu's an AMD AthlonXP 3000+ and it runs San Andreas fine. I think I paid only $200 CAD for it too.

You're right, I couldn't find your mobo on gigabyte's website.. it's like it diddn't exist.. odd. Anywho, this one's pretty much the same just rev 3.2 shouldn't be a major diff:
http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_Spec_GA-8SIMLH-P (Rev%203.2).htm

so yes, socket 478 is probably what you have. You should double check on your mobo. Take off the HSF and the CPU, most sockets label what type they are right onnit.

why did you get an intel computer. If you want to play games, you shoulda bought the amd processor and it works really fast. My amd is only 700mhz and it works the same has 1.7 Ghz intel.

thanx for the quick reply ThE_MarÐ, ill have a look later on..

hey nuke, i bought it ages ago, the only reason why i started playing games is because i got the video card heaps cheap, and now im hooked :)

if i can ill just upgrade the cpu, if not ill get an amd mobo and cpu.

what do you guys think i should get? im proberbly looking at a p4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom