Motherboard cmos ? cpu ? what is the problem ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jauc

Baseband Member
hello,

ok so i have had my mother board (asus a7n8x-x) and my cpu (amd athlon 2400+) for something close to 2 years. and i am now unable to use my computer. At random my computer started having "start-up" problems. eg

-instead of loading to the first bios screen. it sits idle on black screen (monitor light flickers) and dosnt load until i shut it off.

-loads to bios and tells me that my CPU speed/voltage/or something like that, isnt set properly. So i go into bios set it, save and exit then find that it goes back to the black screen without loading.

the only way i have ever been able to get it past the black idled screen is to turn off computer, swap the CMOS clip (connector thing) turn computer back on and HOPE ! that it gets up to the bios screen, where it then asks me to reset the CPU speed/voltage again. After doing this the cycle repeats.

i dont know what the problem is, i was going to take it into a shop to get looked at but alot of people on here have been right about alot of things before so i thought that i should chgeck it over first.

please help. thanks

Check that the DIP switches on your mobo are set correctly so that they match the FSB etc that is set in your BIOS.

Also try reseting your BIOS by removing and leaving your CMOS battery out for bout 10 mins.

The other thing you could try is to hook your boot HDD to another PC and see if you can boot from the HDD at all.

You don't need a harddirve to boot.

You propbally checked this but are the voltages set properly, e.g. are you putting them too low?

I would move the jumper over and flash the cmos.Then move it back and see if the factory defaults help.

I have a similar problem: blank screen during bootup & after.

Inherited an older computer (owner said it was "dead", which means a challenge to me! <grin> ) that sounds like it's booting up normally, but the display never shows the BIOS bootup process, nor anything else! I can feel the HDD spinning up, the read/write light flickers, and the usual things that happen during POST seem to occur. But, nada on the monitor!

Any brilliant ideas of the problem? I suspect it is a virus that has deleted video driver files or, worse, Windows directory/content.

If you have any idea of where to turn for info that would be great! Or any useful suggestions. My searches haved turned up NOTHING...

Thanks, Norm.

Oops, forgot to mention that I've checked the vid card & monitor and both are okay. Used a newer machine to read the HDD in the older machine & there are < 4K files on it (according to the DOS command "dir"). However, SOMETHING should display during POST...

ive got mine working now thanks to "Catbert"

taking out the battery worked. i formatted and now im running sweet. thanks mate :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom