The MOTHER of all problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-27-2005, 01:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 20
Send a message via AIM to REDtoLINE Send a message via Yahoo to REDtoLINE
Default The MOTHER of all problems

Sorry for making a separate thread about my USB problem, so ill put ALL the problems im having in this thread...

First off, my case has an IEEE 1394 port on the front, and the wire looks like this:

http://hosting.redtoline.com/IMG_0430.JPG
http://hosting.redtoline.com/IMG_0431.JPG
http://hosting.redtoline.com/IMG_0432.JPG

and the IEEE 1394 looks like this on the motherboard:

http://hosting.redtoline.com/IMG_0416.JPG

Now the manual of the ASUS motherboard looks like this:

http://hosting.redtoline.com/IMG_0445.JPG

Obviously it all doesnt match up, so i am not sure what to do, i already have 1 IEEE port on the back of the motherboard, but i would like to use the one on the front of the case instead of the one that came with the motherboard that uses a PCI slot...if you can help me to figure out what pins go where, i would appreciate it, thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am also having trouble with my power button, reset button, hd led, and speaker...i know this might seem noobish, but i have never build a computer before, and i dont want to make any mistakes...now does it matter which way the reset, and power buttons go, or do none of these matter which way they go, since they are just lights and buttons?

Here is what my motherboard looks like:

http://hosting.redtoline.com/IMG_0414.JPG
http://hosting.redtoline.com/IMG_0415.JPG

Now here are the power and reset switches:

http://hosting.redtoline.com/IMG_0439.JPG
http://hosting.redtoline.com/IMG_0440.JPG

Now does the KSP mean anything on the back?

Here are the LED wires:

http://hosting.redtoline.com/IMG_0433.JPG
http://hosting.redtoline.com/IMG_0437.JPG

Here is the speaker wire:

http://hosting.redtoline.com/IMG_0442.JPG
http://hosting.redtoline.com/IMG_0444.JPG

And finally, here are the manual pictures:

http://hosting.redtoline.com/IMG_0447.JPG
http://hosting.redtoline.com/IMG_0448.JPG
http://hosting.redtoline.com/IMG_0449.JPG

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again i will put my USB problem, but with more details...

Here is the motherboard picture:

http://hosting.redtoline.com/IMG_0409.JPG

And here is what the USB cords look like on the case:

http://hosting.redtoline.com/IMG_0426.JPG
http://hosting.redtoline.com/IMG_0427.JPG

Now also, here is the manual picture, and it calls that extra pin, NC, what does that mean?

http://hosting.redtoline.com/IMG_0450.JPG

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lastly, i have 2 plugs in the front on my case, a headphone jack, and a microphone jack, the wire for the case looks like this:

http://hosting.redtoline.com/IMG_0428.JPG

but i have no idea where it is supposed to go on my case...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you can help me with any of these problems, i would REALLY appreciate it, thanks in advance

Nick
__________________

REDtoLINE is offline  
Old 03-27-2005, 01:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,172
Send a message via AIM to Win2kpatcher
Default

That motherboard actually looks very easy to setup in regards to the power switch and reset etc...the pictures are way to big so I really couldnt see anything but it seems like the wires coming from the power-reset switch should be color coded, simply match the colors with that on the motherboard and obviously make sure the lables match up..

Do one at a time then test it..so first plug in the wires marked PWR to the slot on the mobo marked POWER. I always have the text facing outwards...so the cable that says PWR with most likely white text when you plug it into the mobo make sure the text is facing where you can see it or outwards.
__________________

Win2kpatcher is offline  
Old 03-27-2005, 01:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
Apokalipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 14,559
Default

you really need to reduce the image sizes, there are people here with slow internet connections (not me personally)

firstly, what's your motherboard?

for the power, reset and speaker plugs, it really doesn't matter if you get them wrong, the power they use is so small it will not do damage. the motherboard should have written on it, the abbreviations of what the pins are for. it should have something like SPK, PLED, PWR, RST which you should be able to figure out

for the USB and IEE 1394 (often called Firewire) and sound plugs it all depend on your motherboard. all motherboards are different, and not all motherboards even support them - sometimes you can use your sound plugs from your sound card
__________________
Apokalipse is offline  
Old 03-27-2005, 01:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 20
Send a message via AIM to REDtoLINE Send a message via Yahoo to REDtoLINE
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Win2kpatcher
That motherboard actually looks very easy to setup in regards to the power switch and reset etc...the pictures are way to big so I really couldnt see anything but it seems like the wires coming from the power-reset switch should be color coded, simply match the colors with that on the motherboard and obviously make sure the lables match up..

Do one at a time then test it..so first plug in the wires marked PWR to the slot on the mobo marked POWER. I always have the text facing outwards...so the cable that says PWR with most likely white text when you plug it into the mobo make sure the text is facing where you can see it or outwards.
although it is a good idea, i would like to be sure instead of using trial and error...i have spent WAY too much money on this computer to put it together using tests
REDtoLINE is offline  
Old 03-27-2005, 01:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 20
Send a message via AIM to REDtoLINE Send a message via Yahoo to REDtoLINE
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by apokalipse
you really need to reduce the image sizes, there are people here with slow internet connections (not me personally)

firstly, what's your motherboard?

for the power, reset and speaker plugs, it really doesn't matter if you get them wrong, the power they use is so small it will not do damage. the motherboard should have written on it, the abbreviations of what the pins are for. it should have something like SPK, PLED, PWR, RST which you should be able to figure out

for the USB and IEE 1394 (often called Firewire) and sound plugs it all depend on your motherboard. all motherboards are different, and not all motherboards even support them - sometimes you can use your sound plugs from your sound card
well i wanted the pictures to be really high quality, so everyone could see all the little pins and the writting next to them...because when it comes to motherboards, i know nothing
REDtoLINE is offline  
Old 03-27-2005, 01:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,172
Send a message via AIM to Win2kpatcher
Default

Ok I looked at the pictures and noticed they were not color coded ( I didnt think the pc manufactures what make it that easy for us!)haha..

So that power cable marked POWER SW needs to be plugged onto the mobo lime green slots marked PWR and the PWR label and POWER SW lable should be facing each other in the eye.

The RESET SW is the samething, but plug it into the RESET slot on the mobo again text facing each other in the eye.

do that and test it..PC should power on if you did right and if you hit reset it should restart the machine.
Win2kpatcher is offline  
Old 03-27-2005, 01:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: asdf
Posts: 8,887
Default

There are Negative and Pos connections... On my motherboard atleast, if they get mixed up it freaking knows it and wont work
c0rr0sive is offline  
Old 03-27-2005, 01:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,172
Send a message via AIM to Win2kpatcher
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by REDtoLINE
although it is a good idea, i would like to be sure instead of using trial and error...i have spent WAY too much money on this computer to put it together using tests
ugghh..your gonna have to turn the computer on some how..as apokalipse said though they cary no damaging voltage.
Win2kpatcher is offline  
Old 03-27-2005, 01:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 20
Send a message via AIM to REDtoLINE Send a message via Yahoo to REDtoLINE
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Win2kpatcher
Ok I looked at the pictures and noticed they were not color coded ( I didnt think the pc manufactures what make it that easy for us!)haha..

So that power cable marked POWER SW needs to be plugged onto the mobo lime green slots marked PWR and the PWR label and POWER SW lable should be facing each other in the eye.

The RESET SW is the samething, but plug it into the RESET slot on the mobo again text facing each other in the eye.

do that and test it..PC should power on if you did right and if you hit reset it should restart the machine.
well i wish i could test it, but i am still waiting on my processor...so i cant turn anything on yet, im just trying to get everything ready, so when my processor does come, ill be able to get this thing running in no time
REDtoLINE is offline  
Old 03-27-2005, 01:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 20
Send a message via AIM to REDtoLINE Send a message via Yahoo to REDtoLINE
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by charles_scott
There are Negative and Pos connections... On my motherboard atleast, if they get mixed up it freaking knows it and wont work
when you say it knows it, you mean it will stop it from ruining the motherboard, or are you sayin that if they get mixed up, it could ruin it?
__________________

REDtoLINE is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.