More unused HD space than I am told?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pearldrum944

Solid State Member
Hi, I think that my computer is telling my I have used more of my hard drive than I actually have. You can access everything on the HD from C:\ right? How come then when I highlight all of the folders I only get "13.4 gigs" when if I click on properties of "Local Disk" it says I have used 22.9 gigs? I am using a Compaq Presario notebook. I am running XP and have a 40 gig HD. I keep my computer clean almost to the point of being obsessed.

Yes, but even if I have hidden files shown shouldn't it count everything in the file? I have tried this on a couple computers and their numbers are alot closer together. For instance: 51.4 gigs used told by windows, and 50 gigs of files in the folders.

Is disk management what I wanted?

Attachments

• asdfa.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 76
If you are using XP with system restore enabled, it uses a portion of the disk space for the restore files. This is kept in a hidden folder in the root of each drive or partition that is actively monitored. (Just the C drive in your case by the sound of it).

If you don't have 'show hidden/system' files enabled, when you look at the contents of the drive in explorer, you will not see this folder & so can't click on it to select it. Therefore, selecting all folders & checking their size in properties, will not include the hidden restore one.

I set the options to show everything but even then the folders only gained 600 mbs. Should I just give up trying to search for my 8 gigs that are unaccounted for?

If its not a big deal reformat and then try again. Might have had a bad setup. 8 gigs is a lot of space when you only have like 36 true gigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom