More "Pentium" coming to a white box near you? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
another thing i hate is mindless pc and windows bashers. Eg. A friend of mine (a die hard mac user). I am talking to another friend of mine, he needs some help installing Linux for the first time.

Friend 1 (the linux guy, talking to me) - Im not sure how to install linux, can you give me some help.
Friend 2 (the mac guy) - Sell all your crappy pc's and get a mac.
Me (cant be bothered to argue)

Another example:

Friend 2 (the mac guy, refering to the school computers running windows 98) - why are windows machines always screwing up.
Me (explaining for the 10th time) - Because these are running a old operating system with no decent virus protection and spyware removal.
Friend 2 (the mac guy) - But windows always screws up, Mac os x never crashes.
Me - Windows never crashes on my pc at my house.
Friend 2 (the mac guy, shuts up)

Another Example:
I gave my mac friend 64mb SDRAM to install into one of his Pc's.
Friend 2: Stupid windows, it wont recognise the Ram.
Me: Does the BIOS see it.
Friend 2 (ponders over the meaning of BIOS) : Ill try again tonight

The Next Day
Me: Did you get it to work
Friend 2: Yes, it wasnt installed correctly
Me: (doesnt even bother to argue that it wasnt window's fault in the first place)

Another Example:
Friend 2: My pc is so crappy compared to my mac, its so slow and unstable.
Me: Becayse it runs windows 98, upgrade to XP or Linux, it will run it easily and make your games run better, ill install it next time im at your house.
Friend 2: Id rather stick with 98
Me: (Doesnt bother to argue why he complained about a os that i would update for him in the first place)

Another Example:
Friend 2: My 266mhz mac outperforms my 550mhz PC Laptop
Me: Thats because your mac has 384mb Ram and a 120gb 7200rpm drive, your laptop only has 128mb ram and a 4200rpm hdd. If you upgraded your laptop to those specs, the pc would outperform the mac.
Friend 2: (shuts up)
See my point?

Funny stories man :).

In anycase, install XP on a 98 system, I would imagine, would bog it down even more - as it is a more demanding operating system.

Also, the frequency of a Mac vs that of a PC is not a reliable measure. Should've told ur buddy that. The instructions/cycle is also important :)

Chankama said:
Funny stories man :).

In anycase, install XP on a 98 system, I would imagine, would bog it down even more - as it is a more demanding operating system.

Also, the frequency of a Mac vs that of a PC is not a reliable measure. Should've told ur buddy that. The instructions/cycle is also important :)
true that.
one reason why Mac is better off not going with Intel: Intel still haven't realised that clock speeds aren't everything. Mac's current CPU's are actually more efficient than AMD's.

although, Intel might gain them some market despite making CPU's which aren't as good

Could this be the beginning of Mac getting out of the proprietary computer market?

If they built the new Mac OS to run on x86 systems, they could seriously compete with Microsoft.

Mac might get out of the computer hardware market and start focussing on the two things they have going for them, the ipod and their OS.

Just a thought....:eek:

Well, the thing with OS's is that they are very cheap to make once you account for the capital costs. Microsoft can piss around while making Windows b/c once they make it, the "unit" cost will simply be, the [total cost/HUGE # of LEGAL users] :p..

Where as, even if Mac does their thing more efficiently (no guarantee of this), their unit cost will be much more, b/c their market share is lower. It's ok for them to waste some money if they can capture more market share. b/c every new customer they get will make them like $100 pure profit for a few pennies to copy the CD and make a new booklet.. Oh yeah, and hire another phone service person for every 200 customers.. :-\..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom