More Memory For My DAW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark4man

Baseband Member
People,

Called my PC mfg. (Dell) hoping to beef up on RAM cheaply (I do a lot of work in digital audio multitracking...& naturally want the best performance possible out of my machine.)

They informed me that my box has two 256MB sticks of NECC (Non Error Correction Code) RDRAM; & that they didn't mfg. NECC anymore; & that I would have to remove the two NECC sticks & replace them with ECC (Error Correction Code) sticks because the two types cannot be mixed; & they recommended two 512MB sticks, to the tune of 550 bucks.

My MoBo is an Intel 850E; & Intel says it has 4 RDRAM RIMM* Sockets; & supports PC800 RDRAM (from 128MB to 2GB.) The MCH (Memory Controller Hub) works via Integrated Dual Direct RAMBUS* technology.

I'm running SONAR XL on the Dell (8250) w/ a P4 (2.5GHz - 512 KB L2 Cache, 533 MHz FSB) & a dedicated audio drive (both drives are ATA/133.) My existing memory is 512 MB PC1066 RDRAM (this last spec...which is from my original packing list...I find interesting...because...Dell says I have PC1066 in the box now...Intel says that board supports PC800.)

So, I'm wondering:

Why can't I mix?
If I can't...can I just pick up another 512MB NECC stick from a reputable mfg. & throw it in the box?
What's the difference between NECC & ECC anyway (& why the frick does memory need error correction to begin with?)
Do I really need ECC?
What should I do?

Thanks,

mark4man

This is a site I found on ECC/NECC and Rambus:
http://www.memorysuppliers.com/rdramrambusfaq.html

It says that you can mix ECC and NON-ECC but that inturn will disable the ecc functionality.
What ECC does is runs checks against the code that goes though it to prevent errors from passing though.
It is defined as this:
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/E/ECC_memory.html
Short for Error-Correcting Code memory, a type of memory that includes special circuitry for testing the accuracy of data as it passes in and out of memory.

You would be better off with looking outside of Dell to find the memory.

Good Luck

Inaris is right. 550 bucks for a gig of ram is just a bit too much (unless yer buying that super-delux-crazy-go-nuts RAM that some companies sell special).

Try TigerDirect.com's memory section, or NewEgg.com's memory section. You can get two 512mb RAMBUS modules for less than $220 a stick, and that's by generic channels. I'm sure if you did a bit of digging, you could find cheaper.

Follow-up...

Found Samsung 256MB PC1066 32ns 16-Bit 184 Pin 533MHZ RAMBUS NECC RDRAM Sticks for $105 each @ MemorySuppliers.com, w/ a 30 day money back gaurantee...

Leave the 2 existing sticks in the MoBo...pop 2 new ones in (since installation "pairs" are required)...giving me 1GB...

How's that sound?

mark4man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom