Monitor won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawzer

Baseband Member
Hello people

I've just installed a Asus A7V8X-X MB with AMD Athlon 2.5 XP and 256 MB of 266 DDR PC2100. The only trouble I have is that although the PC seems to boot (everything lights up and I have hard disk activity) the Monitor doesn't seem to boot. The yellow standby light remains on. The Graphics card is GeForce 2-MX32. Any suggestions as to what the problem could be?

Thanks
Gary

check the monitor's cord and make sure its plugged into the video card. :) (you've probably already done this, but start with the easy fixes first)

Make sure the video card is properly seated into the AGP slot. You can physically remove the card and reinstall it to make sure.

If that doesn't work, i would suggest trying another monitor then a different video card, if you have these items.

Thanks for the reply.

I checked the connections and they seem to be fine. I've replaced the video card for a ati radeon 9200 se 128mb ddr but still get the same response. I've also just tried replacing the monitor for one that I know is good. but when the monitor is switched on, I just get the mesage saying 'no signal'. Is there any thing else that could be causing this?

I had a similar error. I have an ASUS board as well, and when I installed another stick of ram it wasn't perfectly seated, which gave me the exact same monitor problem. Try reinstalling your ram and make sure its in perfectly.

Thanks. I've tried removing it and replacing it again. It seems to be sitting correctly. Could the ram be faulty? would that stop the monitor from booting?

your computer may be running on the onboard video...try plugging the monitor into the slot on the motherboard, and removing the video card, then adjust the BIOS to read from the GeForce card.

i dont think that mb has onboard grpahics, you need to listen to the bleeps from the motherboard at startup, any more than 1 beep = bad news

Your right. The MB doesn't have on-board graphics. I also don't get any beeps at all when booting. What could this mean??

When I had that same problem it turned out to be a bad stick of Ram, Got any extra ram sticks just to test with?

Bingo! I don't know why I didn't try that sooner (since I've swapped out just about every other part). I managed to borrow a stick of Ram and now the monitor boots as well. I should be able to exchange the faulty Ram since its new. All I have to do know is resolve some OS issues.

Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom