Monitor/Videocard Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawmanxxx

Solid State Member
Every time I reboot my computer I get a non-responsive monitor that informs me that there is "No Signal". I can hear the 'puter booting up but no display. I can turn the monitor off and on, but no dice. I have tried two different monitors: a 19" BenQ and a 17" Compaq and the result is the same. I end up hard-booting the tower off and waiting a couple of hours and then, if I am lucky, it boots up normally.
Here is a list of things that I have done to try and fix it, thus far:

- I made sure that all power settings are set to "always on" ie: Hibernate off, Standby off, etc.
- Updated videocard and monitor drivers
- Opened the tower and cleaned out with compressed air
- Visually inspected all fans, cables, connections, looked for bent port pins, etc.
- Ran AdAware and Spybot S&D
- Ran Anti-Virus (McAfee) and Trend Micro HouseCall (Online)

The fact that I lose signal with two different monitors makes me think it's not a monitor issue. You might be thinking that the videocard is overheating, but I have three case fans, an intake on the front and two exhaust fans at the back. I run SpeedFan 4.21 and all my fan speeds and temps are normal.

I have another videocard (MSI RX-9200) that I will try out as a last resort, but if anyone can suggest a fix for this problem, I would welcome any and all advice.

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Barton 2083 Mhz
Asus A7N8X Deluxe 2.0
NVidia GeForce FX5200
Maxtor 80G HD
WinXP SP 2

Sounds like the video card for sure. To be sure I would suggest putting your other video card in there (assuming you know for a fact it is a good video card) if it boots fine you have your answer. If you still have problems it may be the AGP slot itself..then I would seek a PCI video card and see if you get the error that way..if you dont you know it is the AGP slot...then you need to repalce the mobo if thats the case. Hopefully it is just the video card though.

Thanx for the reply... I'm inclined to agree with you that the culprit is the vid card, but you've given me an idea...before I swap it out, I think I'll try putting the NVidia card in an unused AGP slot to rule out the card itself. As for my other card, it should be OK as it is brand new-still in the box. I'll try it tomorrow (it's 2:40am here!) after a good night sleep so I don't wreck something. I've been troubleshooting this damn thing all day! I'll report back...Lawman

Lawmanxxx said:
I think I'll try putting the NVidia card in an unused AGP slot to rule out the card itself.

You only have 1 AGP slot, just throw the other card in for a test

Just thought I'd give an update: I went ahead and swapped out my videocard and that appears to have fixed it. I had a few tense moments while Windows was trying to "see" the new hardware but it reboots just fine now. Thanks for the help. Lawmanxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom