Monitor and TV hook up to computer

ROFL_A_PIGGY

In Runtime
I have a geforce gtx 1050 ti and would like to hook up my computer to both my computer monitor (samsung S24D590) and my 4k tv (vizio m65-d0) so that I can watch movies from my computer on my tv. My tv is not a smart tv unfortunately - it has the vizio smartcast (chromecast I think), I wish I had sprung for one.. so I cannot plug an external hard drive into the tv to play movies.

The GPU has 1 dvi, 1 hdmi, and one displayport output. My monitor has hdmi and so does my tv. Is it possible to hook up my computer to both so I don't need to unplug/plug a cord every time I want to switch between my computer monitor and tv?

The GPU should be able to play 4k movies on my tv right?

Thanks.

You will need an adapter or an adapter cable but it will work. I have used HDMI to DVI cables before (have a couple in a drawer right now) and they do the job.

You will need an adapter or an adapter cable but it will work. I have used HDMI to DVI cables before (have a couple in a drawer right now) and they do the job.

Right, I have one of those. Is the quality any different? I'm pretty clueless about that. Will they both support 4k resolution?

It's al the same signal, I just prefer not to use DVI these days.

Got the tv and computer hooked up :thumbsup:

Probably a stupid question but will the gpu need to do work if my tv is on but on a different input? I had my tv on another input than what the computer is hooked into and my pc recognized the tv as a monitor still. Trying to not make the gpu do work unless I actually want to watch something through the tv.

Also, I think in my thread about my new build you said that my gpu can't handle 4k properly (I asked if I should get a 4k monitor). Could you please elaborate?

I have a 4k tv and I've hooked up my computer to it to watch amazon prime on it, it seemed to be fine (watched Ex Machina last night, LOVED it). I don't plan to game on the tv, but would that be possible?

Thanks.

What kind of a GPU would run games in 4k nicely? Would it have to be the 1080? Also, there is a huge jump in price (more than double from what I see) even going from 1050 to 1060, what is the reason for that? Is it because of the bitcoin mining thing?

Back
Top Bottom