Monitor problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 02:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Monitor problems

i broke a couple pins off the connector on my monitor cable. the monitor is a couple years old and the cable appears to be permanently connected to the back of the monitor. is there any way to splice another cable on to the old one so i dont have to open up the monitor? ive read that all monitor cables can be removed but you have to open the monitor first. if it is possible to splice the two cables together without soldering, i would like to know. thanks to anyone with some help.

Old 01-06-2005, 02:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

I'm sure it could be done but i don't know how reliable it woud be,i'm not sure but i think the cable might be shielded just like the cable's are for tv's,best bet is to go get it fixed properly.

Old 01-06-2005, 02:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

You could try to find some sort of wire that would substitute for a pin and stick it in the missing pins spot, but of coarse the reliability of it comes to mind. Monitors can run with one or more pins missing, ive used a monitor with 3 pins missing and it worked fine.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ok thanks ill try it out and see if it works with the pins missing. if not i guess ill just have to remove the cable from the back of the monitor and replace it.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

if it doesnt work, and you really want it fixed, i suggest you ger someone qualified to do it because unlike computers where you can just replace a component, monitors you cant. And if you fix it incorrectly, you can have major problems.