Monitor kinda blurry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

In Runtime
I've got an old monitor that has been moved with me from place over the last year. It's an old VGA monitor that used to run on an NT system. I no longer have the computer, but ive got the monitor. When i tried to use it for one of my recent builds, i noticed the icons and lettering were all blurry. They're not VERY VERY blurry, but they're definitely blurred and it was never like that before on the other system.

I tried finding updatable drivers for it, but they don't exist. I tried it on an XP system, a win2k system and a 98 system. On all computers the screen is somewhat blurry.

Has anyone experienced this with a monitor before? There are no settings for the monitor that control the sharpness. It has a power on and color controls but that's it. I'd really like to be able to use it but i might end up throwing it away or something.

It's not even blurry to the point where you can't use it... it's just bothering me cause it was never like that before. Also, it has never been dropped or damaged that i've seen.

does it look similar to a v-hold problem, if so ive delt with this before n nothing i did seemed to help. i ended up having to buy a compleatly new monitor. hope you have better luck either way

V-hold??

The only way i can describe it is if you were to put on glasses that were slightly blurry... not a whole lot.. not enough to make it unbearable.. but enough to be bothersome and destroy a crisp image or font... put the glasses on and look at the monitor. Things like icons can pass for ok.. but when you look at anything typed you can tell it's blurred a bit. The time is blurry and all your wording on the desktop is blurry. It's just not right and i have no idea what could have caused this.

I would think its about time for a new monitor in which i would get LCD because good crt monitors are just about the same price as good lcd so might as well go slim

I have had this happen to a monitor of mine before.

It started out getting blurry so slowly that I didn't notice it at first, and then I thought that my eyes were just tired. It slowly got more and more blurry, over the course of months, until it was too blurry to see. I finally called the manufacturer and when I described the problem they replaced it.

It basically started like you are describing it: It was fine, then it got blurry, but not so obvious that you could definately tell that it was out of focus, then it got worse and worse until anything below 12pt font was unreadable.

Basically, your monitor is dying and it is time for a new one.

It's not the point to "go buy another monitor". The point is its an old used monitor that i wanted to put together for a linux system. In fact, i can still use it for that purpose, i just wish i knew what was up with it being so blurry. It worked fine and always has before it was decommissioned. It sat unused for about 6 months and when it was turned on again, this problem.

It's weird how it's dieing. I mean, it's basically not been used much at all and physically it's in very good shape. I have a much older monitor that has visible dark brown spots in the back of the case from where the heat is burning through the plastic and it's even been dropped. This monitor functions perfectly fine even today and it is by far much older. The one concerning this post is about 3 years younger and has always functioned good nor does it have any heat problems or melting spots.

Strange. I'll prob keep the monitor for one of my linux builds since i'm not worried about a slight blurring, and just wait for it to die completely. Thanks though for your input, guys.

a few things to check out. look for external influences. fluorecents, magnets (speakers, etc), move it to a different spot. Although I DOUBT this would be the problem, as it doesn't sound like a warped issue, but guess you could degauss. Like I said, doesn't sound like thats the problem, but whatever, may as well try it. Also look for externals on the other side of a wall. Had a friend of mine having a problem over and over with lines on screen and poor image. She lived cross country. After what seems forever turned out that (can't remember) either a transformer or airconditioning unit was RIGHT on the other side of the wall and caused interference. Also, here at work one of out network systems had a image problem when we where hooking it up. Turned out the extended cable we ran through the conduit was poorly shielded. So could be any of these. Hmmm... tv, microwave, poor shielding in wall plug (unless the friends computer was at a different house???), just check these things. Moisture damage? Where did you store it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom