Monitor Keeps Going Black - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2004, 11:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Monitor Keeps Going Black

OK, I was wondering if some kind soul could help me here. My first post on the boards but they look great.

Anyway, here is my issue:

I recently just upgraded my homebuilt system to a RAID0 Array with 2 SATA 200GB drives.

Obviously I had to reinstall windows and all. Strangely, after this enhancement, I started to get a weird problem, namely my monitor will go black, the light on it will stay green (i.e. it's not hibernating) but there's nothing there.

Turning the monitor off and on will bring things back to life. This can happen when I'm working on the PC, or when it's just sitting there.

I've already tried the obvious things: I've switched out Monitors and I've switched out the Video Card - to no avail. The problem persisted.

So, I'm left with it being a software issue or hardware conflict or something. But there are no obvious conflicts in Device Manager.

So, the details:

MB: ASUS P4P800 Deluxe
Video Card: ASUS ATI 9600XT
1 GB of Corsair RAM
XP Home with SP1 and all available Updates from MS

All the drivers are up to date as well, for everything. The one thing that I'm curious about is could it possibly be some conflict between the IRQ port that the Video Card is using and the Intel 82801ER Raid Controller?

Sorry for the novel, thanks in advance for anyone's help.

Old 06-10-2004, 02:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

try changing the IRQ settings

I wish I had a computer but I am broke!!!
Old 06-10-2004, 07:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks Andrew, I thought of that. So, here's where my lack of IRQ settings comes in. Since XP handles that on it's own through ACPI (I probably have that wrong) how do I manually change settings. I mean, can I disable and IRQ port in the BIOS, I can't change them in Device Manager - the option is greyed out and I understand from reading that this is managed by Windows due to HAL?

Sorry, I'm a noob at IRQ stuff.

Thanks for the help though.

Old 06-11-2004, 10:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Sorry, to bump folks. Anyone have any ideas here?
Old 06-12-2004, 12:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to YourPrinter

is your power supply powerful enough? (just checking)
Closed Thread