Monitor goes black, red tint

exilica

Beta member
Today I turned on my computer and waited for it to load. When it got to the desktop there was a red tint to the monitor that went away after about 5 seconds. I thought nothing of it until about 30 seconds later, the screen went black. It didn't go in to power saving or sleep mode, just black. I can turn off the monitor and back on again and it does the same thing, red tint for 5 seconds, goes away, then goes black after 30 seconds. I thought it might be my video card going bad so I tried a different one with the same results. I've just tried a different monitor and it works fine. So I'm wondering what the next step would be. I got the monitor second hand so I'd have to check to see if there's still a warranty, but since I don't know much about monitors I just wanted to see if there's a simple fix or if this is an unfixable problem.

I think it's either the back light going out or a color "tube" dying. Even LCD monitors have their own thing equivalent to CRT tubes going out. I'm not 100% sure if it's a color "tube" or just the/a back light. It's one of those.

If you can determine somehow from further troubleshooting that the back light went out, it's possible to make a box for the screen panel and put a light bulb in it with a little modding. People have done it before.

What graphics card are you using and how old is it?
Also, what screen are you using and who old?
If your case is littered with dust and other stuff, check that the graphics card isn't overheating or dust in the card - maybe even the card is faulty.
If you clean your case and clean your card and the problems still occur, try another screen and if the problem happens again with a different screen, we will be able to focus on the actual computer itself.

Back
Top Bottom