Monitor frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanks

Beta member
Hello!

I got a new PC as the previous was getting very slow. I decided on a completely fresh install, no setting transfer.

I'm slowly installing software and customizing the PC, but I cannot normally work because of the lof refresh rate of the monitor. I don't know what to do...

The video card adapter's driver is OK, it was installed before I got the PC. Also, I got the monitor driver – for the exact model I have (Fujitsu ErgoPro x174). And still I cannot get that flickering off! :(

At first, after installing Windows XP, there appears black free area around the image. I know I can try to widen the image by monitor's control's, but I don't think that's the problem, because, when I plug it back to the old computer, it's OK.

And I cannot increase the frequency too! No matter to what number I set, it seems it's not changing neither to worse nor better. It shows that the biggest frequency (at 1024x768) would be 100Hz, but wether I set it to 100 or 90 or 85, it still looks like some 70 or 60Hz. Besides, on the old computer the highest possible value was only 85Hz (BUT - it was working at least, and it was OK for me).

So, any help with this would be much appreciated. My eyes simply hurt while I'm looking at the monitor now. :(

Thanks!

Make sure you're using the latest drivers for your vid card, whatever it may be; could iron out some bugs. If your monitor supports 1024*768 @ 100Hz, then you might want to try overriding the default refresh rate in your Forceware/Catalyst control panel to get it to work.

I don't think the monitor is dieing, digitaloracle. As I said, if I connect it back to the old PC, it shows OK – 85hz.

With the new computer it looks like the resolution had been changed (thus the black frame around and the frequency automatically changed to safe; I've seen it happening on some computers). I just cannot get the frequency working.

But it could be something wrong woth the Video card. As there was only built in 8MB video card for the old computer. There is 256MB Radeon video card for this, the driver date is 2004.03.23, so not too old, at least for my monitor. :) And I tried updating it, it said no more suitable driver could be found.

OK, so, this is what User's Manual says:

By default, the RADEON 9600 series will drive your monitor at a screen refresh rate of 60 Hz.

I found an image of a place where you can set the rate I didn't remember having seen. So, I (pretty unsuccesfully) tried to uninstall all the video card drivers, and then just reinstalled. The old settings didn't have any effect anyway, but I found that other place (in one of driver software-specific tabs) and it did the trick!

Ohh, what a bliss!!

Thank you for trying to help, I appreciate it! And now back to customizing... It's times like this when you realize how many small things you've actually adjusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom