Monitor colors are off - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 03:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to K Tooz
Default Monitor colors are off

I have an older monitor that hadn't been used for a few months. When i hooked it back up to a different pc, the colors were not correct. is this a settings problem that can be fixed under the display icon in control panel or is something wrong with the monitor? Thanks for the help....

Old 09-22-2004, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Nvidia fan boy

Try changing the settings under display properties. Put it at 32bit. If thats not the problem then its either drivers or its the monitor.

Old 09-22-2004, 04:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

or if its not just the color resolution.. go into, rightclick desktop/propertyes/display/advanced, and look for gama control, either put that on default or mess around with it.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

do you mean the you have a rainbow effect on the screen?

this could be caused by an errant magnetic field that has affected the screen. Your monitor should have a de-gauss feature that will restore the monitor to it's original form. If it does not have this option in it's on screen menu, try turning the monitor off for about 5 minutes, and then back on- this should auto fire the de-gauss coil.

Worst case senario you can use a drill (electro magnetic field) close to the screen in a circular motion should help to clear the colors up.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Yeah what blueman said about the degauss, a lot of older monitors have that and you may have played with it without realizing it...the button makes your screen literally jump and go almost twisted for a second then returns and makes the sound like your computer screen just popped up....my friend had a HUGE monitor and when he'd turn that thing on the other monitors nearby would go crazy for a second cause his was puttin off so much electromagnetic field lol.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the advice....I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

tried the degauss button and it didnt clear it up......any other suggestions??
Old 09-27-2004, 05:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

i had my speakers standing next to my monitor some time ago...it displayed really strange colors
Old 09-27-2004, 05:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
i had my speakers standing next to my monitor some time ago...it displayed really strange colors
Yup....that would happen being that speakers are based off magnets on the back of them Whats with the slew of avatar changes major! That and your name...the partitioner!!
Old 09-27-2004, 05:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Quote:
Originally posted by Nubius
Yup....that would happen being that speakers are based off magnets on the back of them Whats with the slew of avatar changes major! That and your name...the partitioner!!
do u like it? lol