monitor buzzing/arcing - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 10:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default monitor buzzing/arcing

I'm a little new at posting to forums, but here goes.
I've got a ViewSonic 18" Diagonal monitor that has been having some slight issues as of late. For one, there is a constant buzzing/arcing noise inside the monitor. However, when I removed the casing, there was no visible arcing. I have isolated the area in which the noise is coming from, which is on the main circuit board on the opposite from the flyback transformer. Finally, while the monitor is turned on, there is a set of wavy lines that moves slowly down my screen. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-25-2004, 11:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

The more I've worked with this monitor, the less sure I am where the buzzing is coming from. Like I said, any help in fixing this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-25-2004, 12:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

How old is the monitor? Does it have a born on date? (date on back)

I can only guess whats up, but there's a good chance that you have a blown capacitor, or voltage regulator/transistor. Obviously there's something on the PCB thats failed or is failing.

I'd say find the source of your noise, and you've more than likely found the problem with the screen, or at least a start.

Post up if you can find the source of the noise exactly, and maybe someone will have a suggestion as to how to fix it.

Best of luck :-)
Old 05-25-2004, 01:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Using the old straw trick, I've figured out that the power supply receiving power from the power cord and a transformer below it (below being while the monitor is on its face) are the source of the arcing noise. What should my next course of action be? Should I replace the transformer and power supply? The monitor was manufactured in Sept. of 2000. Old in computer terms, but not old enough that the components would have worn out.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Try lowering the refresh rate on it. It might be too high, we have the same kind of problem on the school computer.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

this is more serious than just refresh rates. i personally would just buy a new monitor. i mean seriously, where are you going to buy replacement power supply/ transformer for that model? its not worth the hassle. if it was a simple matter of it being blurry or too dim that would be something servicable
Old 05-26-2004, 10:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well, this is sort of a pet project, so I'm probably going to opt to find the replacement parts and see if I can fix it myself. I don't need the monitor since it's sort of a spare monitor, but it'd be fun to fix it.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

Be careful when you open the monitor, those things carry over 20,000 volt charges