Monitor - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Old 04-03-2014, 02:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Monitor

I need a new monitor coz my older one doesn't have IPS and it has 5ms and 23"
My choices are:

27" with: IPS and 5ms
27" with: TN and 1 ms

Originaly I was going for 29" but I don't know how it will handle gaming and lots of games aren't made for that and I don't know gow will the recording go so I decided to save some money and with that buy i7 4770k instead of i5 4670

Btw I have 2x gtx 760 in sli if that helps anything

Pudlica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Default Re: Monitor

I'm looking at new monitors myself in that size so I'll be watching the responses here. 27" is the size I'm thinking about and I'm a little jealous about the 4770K LOL I was going to get it but do very little that the i7 4770 would do better over the i54670 so I saved the $100 for other things.

New system
NZXT Tempest 410 - I5-4670K - Asus Z87-Plus - SeaSonic SS-750KM3 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular PS
GPU MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G - CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB 1600 (2x8gig) - SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 -Seagate Barracuda 3-TB

Antec 200 - I7-920 - ASUS P6T - Corsair TX650 it's old but still kicking like a mule
2-EVGA GTX 470 in SLI- ocz vertex 3 SSD 128 gig
Seagate Barracuda 1-TB - OCZ DDR3-1600 12 gigs 3x2
Keeps Me Happy :lol:

If I've been helpful, Please rep me
Dauntae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Build Guru
Default Re: Monitor

For starters, as I've said many times before the i7 won't help you over the i5. Gaming literally does not utilize HT and without HT the 4770k and 4670k are identical processors.

Finally, size doesn't play a role to anything besides image stretching and pixel density. That aside, what matters here is resolution. You won't see any noticeable lag under 8ms GTG while gaming. You also don't need an IPS panel for gaming either. IPS panels only provide better color accuracy and in fast paced games you won't really notice the difference that much. IMO not exactly worth the extra cost.

My absolute personal opinion is a high refresh TN panel with a high resolution over anything else. A good brand of course. The reason for this is if you have a high refresh rate you can enable Vsync for less screen tearing or leave it off for maximum FPS. Higher resolution panels reduce the need for post processing anti-aliasing which usually bogs down GPUs rather bad as well as take up precious frame buffer (VRAM).

I also typically suggest people to stick to well known brands because you're more than likely to get a good panel in it be it IPS or TN.
and Dell are my poison choices.

Again that's a more educated personal opinion.
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire Mechwarrior Online = Thunderson PSN = PP_Mguire

Need Descent and Mechwarrior buddies!
If I helped you, give a thanks! ↓
Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote