Modem using dual phone line

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbernu

Beta member
Have a modem problem. Both computers are using a US Robotics modem. (v.90 and v.92?) One is a brand new computer, the other is about 2 years old. Both computers receive the error "no dial tone" when trying to dial up to the Internet. This is the kicker: If you pick up a telephone on the same line first, then then both computers get a dial tone, dial up and connect. If you hang up the phone, the connection either gets really slow or quits, can't tell which, did not wait more than 2 minutes for a page to come up. The modem appears to work when connected to a different and seperate phone line. (Only tried it once on somebody elses phone line) One computer has a fax connected to the "out to telephone" jack of the modem. The other computer is hooked through a splitter (dual phone line) that goes out to a telephone with line 1/line 2 capability, and the other part of the split goes to the computer, and the "out to telephone" jack hooks up to a credit card machine. All phones, credit card machine and fax work correctly. Am assuming that it is a problem with the phone line? Recently, picking up the phone does not help, either. Still get the error "no dial tone", even though you can hear the modem click on the line when it tries to connect. Have tried disconnecting the fax, line1/2 telephone, and credit card machine. Still same problem. ANY thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Have you tried to hook up the phoneline straight to the computer and the phone to the computer and than pick up the phone to hear if you get a dial tone.
If you do try to dial in with the computer while listning to the phone, see if the modem is doing anything.
Should clear up some question.

One of the computers is hooked straight up to the phone line. This is the one with the fax hooked up to the "telephone out jack". The fax has a monitor button (speaker phone). At first, when you listened to the dial tone with this monitor button, the modem would dial out and operate correctly as long as the monitor was not hung up. If you tried to dial up with the monitor off, you would get the "no dial tone". This is a friend's computer who lives pretty far away. He says that now, just recently, when he listens using the monitor or phone, that you can hear the modem click like it is trying to access the line, but says no dial tone. I will suggest checking the box that says to ignore dial tone. Will let you know what happens

Check the colors on your wires. . . sounds like one of them is crossed or stapled thru. - or you have a bad extension wire.

if you can run a wire right direct to the test jack in the phone box outside the building to the modem and see if it works then . . .

Went out there with a phone line tester. Simple tester. Green light means good. Red means reversed polarity. Checked the computer that has the credit card machine hooked to it. It showed red. Switched the wires around (at the wall jack) and it showed green. The modem dialed out and connected 5 times. I thought GREAT! So I went to the other computer, this one also showed red. Switched the two wires around, and now both computers do not get a dial tone again. Both now showing green. Switched the last wires that were switched, back to their original positions. Just left the first two wires switched (the same setup that worked 5 times) It still did not work! (no dial tone) It is definately something in the phone line. Am going to start at the outside box and test all the wiring. Maybe one of the wires from line 1 is switched with line 2? But then wouldn't the fax not find a dial tone either? One thing I noticed when you are listening on another phone while the modem is dialing out, the volume of the dial tone goes to about half volume when the modem picks up the line. When I hooked up the modem AFTER the fax instead of before it then picking up the phone on the fax did not help the modem to get a dial tone. When the modem is hooked up BEFORE the fax, then picking up the phone on the fax lets the modem find the dial tone. Note-it does not help to tell it to ignore whether it had a dial tone or not, it still does not connect. Anybody who has worked with phone lines, please let me know if you have seen this symptom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom