Modem detection and limited users on XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukyluke

Solid State Member
Hello,

I just did a fresh install of XP Pro on my PC.
The ADSL modem installation and the internet connection creation went fine.

My problem is that only users having administrator rights can see and use the modem.
Users having limited rights do not even see the modem (my modem monitoring tool says "modem not detected").

If I give these users administrator rights, then they see the modem.
But I would like to avoid to give administrator rights to all users needing to access internet.

Does anyone know the solution ?
Thanks for helping.

I guess you could alway set a GPO, but that seems like the "long" way.

I will do some searching.

ADSL modem and XP Pro: More infos

I made some progress on this problem.
In fact, limited users can use the modem and their internet connection, I initially had the impression they could not but I was wrong.

What happens is that when a limited user logon, the app in charge of initializing the modem and monitoring it temporarily displays an error message saying that the modem is not detected.
But this window disappears after 1 sec, which means the modem has finally been detected.
Then the app does not go in the icon taskbar as it does usually when I logon as admin, but it is still running, I can see it in the task manager.
Then, if I start a second instance, it says "modem not detected", but I assume this is because the 1st is still running.

The real question is : why does it occur only if I logon as a limited user ?
Could be a problem of USB device detection, or simply a problem with the application.

Anyway, the problem is not so serious as I initially thought.

Any idea is welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom