modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruben

Baseband Member
My son gave up cable Hi Speed Internet from his pc.Now when he tries to use a dial up internet server,msn,he gets a pop up that reads " modem not connected".It is w/ me.It wont check to see if there is a dial tone or anything ,it just says to trouble shoot cuz modem not detected. When cable internet hooked him up,did they do something to his pc that needs to be redone back?..............help!

re-install the modem drivers, yur high speed SP shouldnt have done anything to your modem! make sure the phone port is going into the right socket.

also check to see that the check box labeled "wait for dial tone before dialing" is checked under

open network connections->select your dial up connection->r click->properties

check all of the settings in here, make sure modem speed isnt set to 0, check all dialing rules and such, hope this helps

make sure if the modem is properly istalled, for that go to control apnel/system/hardware profile, chack that there is not conlict whit the modem. then go to my network conection and check tha the device is enabled. tur of any firewall program if you ahve one

I will check out all the suggestions this weekend and get backto yall later, thanks.

I DID AND CHECKED ALL OF THE ABOVE AND ITS ALL GOOD!
IT STILL SAYS CANNOT DETECT A MODEM!
This happened once before,he took it to Best Buy and they repaired it at a cost of $30.When he got it back it now has a folder on his desktop that says "modem".It wasn't there before.I opened it but don't know what to do with it.any,more help is appreciated!

The os is W/ME. I think I have checked the programs installed and didnt see a modem driver but I will check again and check the cable.........I'll be back!

How old is this computer? Is it an external, PCI or on board modem?

I had an old Eitherlabs PCI modem that windows couldn't detect, so I had to try to track down the drivers for it. That folder on your desktop might be a drivers folder. WinXP also likes to put a Winbound driver to any modem that it doesn't recognize. So see what your hardware profile is saying about your modem. If it's labeling it as the wrong model/manufacture then reinstall the correct drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom