Mobo or Processor Failure???

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelemming uk

Solid State Member
Just recently finished building a pc for a friend based around AMD 64 2800 and Chaintech VNF-250. Everything was going good, all parts installed, pc was running sweet. As soon as I handed it over to him, the thing died. He shut it down normally from the start menu but it just wouldn't restart. There is no beeping, no led's lit, no cpu fan spinning, nothing....PSU failure I hear you say, nope, I've got the psu from that pc running my own pc right now! "On" switch failure? well even with the switch connections shorted with a jumper there was nothing, so I'm counting that out too...The PSU will work if its plugged into all the other devices and the green/black wires on the main board connector are shorted, so this eliminates a short circuit on pretty much everthing else that there is i think.
Just RMA'd the mobo for a replacement but I was thinking that it might be a cpu problem. My question here is would the board still boot??, would I get something (a beep maybe) from it even if the cpu had been fried??

Any help would be really appreciated..

well, cause u said there ain't no power going to the computer, it could be the motherboard. if it was the processor you would experience activity inside your computer non the less.

sounds like a capacitor blew between the power plugin on the mobo and the capasitor (spelling sucks). look at the capasitors and there should be these little X's on the top of them. if any of them are protruding or there is any leaking around the bottom of them then thats the prob right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom