mobo PCIe question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would recommend replacing mboard...it doesnt look like you have an agp or a pci-e slot. PCI video cards are gettin obselete and are limited with their capabilities, although it would still be an improvement over your onboard graphics. How much do you want to spend and what games do you want to play?
You can get a cheap PCI card for $40-60 bucks on newegg. Use the search function of this forum and search "Dell" and "PCI" etc, cause im sure this topic has been discussed before. Good luck. (you'll find that most people here detest Dell systems and for good reason)

the purpose was to be able to play battlefield 2. i don't want gaming system performance, just want it to run smoothly on medium settings.

anyway ill search around. i was looking to spend around $150 on the vid card, but if that requires me to replace the mobo and power supply as well, don't think i can drop that kind of money on the computer right now.

BF2 supports the GEforce 5700. It doesn't look to support anything below that (numerically) in the line up. Is this card even worth trying to play the game on?

Run CPU-z just to make sure you don't have an AGP slot. Dell's actually usually do come with an AGP slot, only there bottom line machines ship without them.

LINK

From what i can remember only Mini ATX boards didnt come with a AGP Slot and even some did. Unless the Computer is like 6 or more years old you have a good chance that it has a AGP Slot. The only sure fire way....open the case. If you see a small brown slot by the PCI slot then you have AGP....no brown slot no AGP. If you dont have AGP only PCI your best bet would be to get a new Mobo. Unfornatuly that means new CPU, RAM, Case, Reformat HD among other things. Isnt building computers fun...j/k. Check First to see if you have AGP. I dont see why it wouldnt AGP been around for a few years and almost all mobo had it. As for new system it takes work (Done a few myself) but is well worth it when you get it done.

alright, no AGP slot. ran CPUz and looked to make sure.

the computer was purchased August of '04. It's a Dimension 3000 so that puts it on the lower end.

Rebuilding the whole thing isn't an option right now, so unless that 5700 will run the game I'm just gonna have to scrap the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom