mobo install probs

Status
Not open for further replies.

wriggles

Solid State Member
Hi all,

I've bought a new Asus87n8x-x mobo and am having a wee problem with it. (I'm changing over from an old Asus a7a266).

Everything seems fine except my monitor is being forced to standby mode i.e. I can't see anything and I can't seem to get it to go on. The very first time I changed it over it was ok, booted up in safe mode and then detected new hardware - pci to pci bridge, pci Ram, VGA adapter etc..... Went through everything then said I need to restart my computer to finish set up. When I did this it powered up but the monitor would not come to life and this has remained. I put the old mobo back in and everything is fine again. Changed again and the same monitor problem is back so I can't see what's going on to fix it.

Is there a way round this? This is the first time I have done this so I could have made many mistakes. If anyone can help I'd be grateful.

Thanks

Dave.

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't do a repair or install of Windows. I though as I was upgrading from another Asus board that it would prob be alright. A completely fresh install of Windows (98SE) is on my to do list anyway but I'm not sure how I'd do that now that my monitor doesn't seem to be getting a signal. I've had the new board for the old one about 6 times now. (I can do it pretty quick now!). As I say the old mobo still works fine.

I doubt it's the seating of the graphics card (Radeon 9000pro) because everything was fine until it told me to restart my computer to finish set-up. I just clicked restart, and the monitor never came back on.

I hope you can help.

Dave.

I can't actually remember any beep codes. Nothing that I haven't heard plenty before anyway, like maybe just one short one, about a half sec. beep.

Dave.

I canÂ’t find that board on the ASUS site, if it has on board video, is it disabled? Also, a mistake I have made once was to plug my monitor into the onboard video out, (which was disabled), rather than the AGP card, and wonder why nothing was happening.

Sorry for the typo!

I meant A7N8X-X.

I don't think it has any on-board video as far as I'm aware (95% sure).

No, it's as if it's on stand-by or sleeping or whatever you call it. By BIOS, do you mean the black DOS screen that usually comes up first (sorry i'm not an expert). In any case no, it doesn't. If I switch the monitor off and then on again the green light will blink on as if it's going to start up, but then goes staight back to amber sleepy mode.

That is quite odd, all I can suggest is to try a BIOS reset, and see what happens then. Take the battery out of the motherboard, (with the power supply switched off), for about 30 seconds, then replace it, and try to fire it up again.

(yes, the BIOS is the black screen at start-up where ram is checked etc.)

Sounds like your video card /mobo are in conflict with each other .
Or somthing fried on the mother board on that first boot .
If you have access to another video card try that if not RMA the board . But actually the Best procedure is to Reformat and do a fresh install When you change a motherboard .
A shot in the dark is put the original mobo in boot up uninstall the video card and everything related to the video card .
Reboot if it prompts to install a default adapter let it do so .
Dont install the VC drivers yet .Run driver cleaner 2 and clean any remaining files .Then shutdown and change over the mobo.
If your lucky it may work if it prompts to load a default adapter again let it do so .Once your booted up then insert your VC cd and install it .

My vid card is a Radeon 9000pro, which I would imagine is v. commonly used with this board.

What do you mean RMA the board? I've seen this problem reported on other forums but I haven't seen anyone post a definate solution yet.

Thanks for the tips, keep them coming please.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom